Question

reading a Mon-file

• 13 January 2020
  • 2 replies

I got files with the type .mon ,I try to use them in the workbench but i cant find a specific format that works correctly with it. The type that should be the closest to it cant read it at all and gives the error as shown in the picture

I also tried it as an CSV because it is a kind of table, but the output is incorrect. Does anyone know how to work with this type of file?

2 replies

Badge +2

Hi @conradios,

When you tried reading the file using a .csv reader, did you set the Delimiter Character, Field Names Line, and Data Start Line? Sometimes changing those parameters can allow you to read text files easier as the default parameters may not apply to this particular file.

Alternatively, if that doesn't work, you could try using a Text File Reader and use a series of StingSearchers to parse information from the plain text line. If you go ahead with the Text File route, I would highly recommend checking out more of the String transformers.

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Are you sure it's a text-based file (i.e. is it readable if you open it in a text editor)? If so it sure would help us if you could share a screenshot of that.

If it is text-based then Chris' ideas are spot-on; check the CSV delimiter or use the plain text reader. You could also try the CAT (Column-Aligned Text) reader if the data is formatted into columns.