Question

The AreaBuilder not working !

• 16 April 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge
I am going to make CAD into 3D models ,and I encountered some problems in this process.The original data file geojson (pre-transformed DWG into geojson file), fmw has been uploaded, and the WALL layer is taken as an example.

The original data screenshots are as follows:

Problems encountered:

1. For the first attempt, the “Build Internal Edges (Advanced)” parameter in AreaBuilder is set to Yes, and “Snapping Type: Vertex Snapping && Snapping Tolerance: 0.01e” is set. Although all the Features are not lost, there are still some features ,which was no build, and some area with duplicate edges !

Why is the "Build Internal Edges (Advanced)" parameter set, but it does not work? Why some area with duplicate edges ?

2. For the second attempt, use GeometryCoercer/TopologyBuilder to convert all the areas into lines, then overlap all the lines, then build the areas with AreaBuilder. The results show that some features in the OutputPort of AreaBuilder are missing, as shown in the red area in the figure?and there are holes that have not been dug.

Why The AreaBuilder loss of features? Where did the missing features go? How can I receive this data? How can I build holes with this ?

3. For the third attempt, first cut all the lines with the face, remove the burrs and suspension lines; then build the face as the second step. The results show that the data is still missing.

2 replies

Badge +2

Hi @keplerleee, I played around with your sample data and got a slightly better result. Still not perfect. I thought I'd share, just in case it helps.

One thing that made the most difference is setting the “Build Internal Edges (Advanced)” to NO, instead of yes. (workspace is also attached, but it's created in 2019 version)

I think maybe the documentation is not as clear as it should be. I understood it to mean, that when this parameter is set to Yes, the resulting polygon could have duplicate edges (referred to as "cycle" in the doc). http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.0/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Transformers/Transformers/areabuilder.htm

Here is the result I managed to get. Still haven't figured out how to remove some of the unwanted polygons, as you highlighted in scenario 2 above. Maybe some other experts have better ideas. areabuilder.fmw

Badge

Hi @keplerleee, I played around with your sample data and got a slightly better result. Still not perfect. I thought I'd share, just in case it helps.

One thing that made the most difference is setting the “Build Internal Edges (Advanced)” to NO, instead of yes. (workspace is also attached, but it's created in 2019 version)

I think maybe the documentation is not as clear as it should be. I understood it to mean, that when this parameter is set to Yes, the resulting polygon could have duplicate edges (referred to as "cycle" in the doc). http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.0/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Transformers/Transformers/areabuilder.htm

Here is the result I managed to get. Still haven't figured out how to remove some of the unwanted polygons, as you highlighted in scenario 2 above. Maybe some other experts have better ideas. areabuilder.fmw

Many thanks! the unwanted polygons can't been remove ?and only modification the CAD file can repair it.