Solved

AttributeValueMapper imported excel - encoding is wrong

Badge

Hi,

i am using an AttributeValueMapper where i import an excel file. In the preview the encoding is correct, but when i complete the import steps, the encoding gets destroyed. I dont find any option to change this. Are there options to correct this or is this not possible or is this a bug?

i am using FME(R) 2019.1.0.0 (20190710 - Build 19608 - WIN64)

Regards

Clemens

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 3 April 2020, 19:01

View original

11 replies

Badge +2

@clemensb I couldn't reproduce your issue in FME 2020 or 2019. See the attached spreadsheet, sheet2 for my example. variousencodings.xlsx

What version of FME are you using? What system locale is your machine set too.

Badge

@clemensb I couldn't reproduce your issue in FME 2020 or 2019. See the attached spreadsheet, sheet2 for my example. variousencodings.xlsx

i am using FME(R) 2019.1.0.0 (20190710 - Build 19608 - WIN64) with Windows 10

the system locale is "Deutsch (Deutschland"

i got the same problem with your .xlsx, preview is fine, imported is wrong

Badge

Seems like a bug for me. It is pretty bad, because now i have to check and change it by hand after the import :(
Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I was also unable to reproduce the issue - aslo German encoding on the machine. Build 19608. Could it be you are using an old version of the transformer? Have you tried adding a new one to the worksapce? or tired going through the upgrade transformer wizard?

Badge

I was also unable to reproduce the issue - aslo German encoding on the machine. Build 19608. Could it be you are using an old version of the transformer? Have you tried adding a new one to the worksapce? or tired going through the upgrade transformer wizard?

No they are uptodate and i added new one

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

No they are uptodate and i added new one

Super strange. Reinstall? Have you tried that. Or just a new install into a completely new folder?
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @clemensb,

For a workaround, please save your Excel table to CSV, then import the CSV file into the AttributeValueMapper. The CSV reader has an Advanced parameter that lets you control the encoding of the source file, so you can force the correct encoding.

Badge

Hi @clemensb,

For a workaround, please save your Excel table to CSV, then import the CSV file into the AttributeValueMapper. The CSV reader has an Advanced parameter that lets you control the encoding of the source file, so you can force the correct encoding.

Hi @daveatsafe,

i tried now the csv-reader. Here is the opposite effect :D i tried various encodings, preview was fine, import was bad. Then i used utf-8, here is a error in the preview, but the import is fine! I will use the csv-workaround. Hopefully with the next version the excel will also work. Thank you!

Badge
Super strange. Reinstall? Have you tried that. Or just a new install into a completely new folder?

No but I tried it on also on other PCs in your office. There is the same problem. It might be some setting from our IT which leads to this strange behavior. So i dont think reinstalling will change this.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

No but I tried it on also on other PCs in your office. There is the same problem. It might be some setting from our IT which leads to this strange behavior. So i dont think reinstalling will change this.

Does the Excel reader have the same problem when reading? That would be an interesting test.

Badge

Does the Excel reader have the same problem when reading? That would be an interesting test.

I just tested it, the Excel reader works normal. This is really strange