Question

pointonlineoverlayer line split is a little off the point

• 16 November 2018
  • 2 replies

I have been using the pointonlineoverlayer to split lines when they are at the endpoint of another line. I use the coordinateextractor and vertexcreator transformers to create the points. While this works in general, I’ve noticed that in some cases the break in the split line is not at the same location as the enpoint of the other line. I am using snapper before this process, and plan on using snapper after it hoping it will put the points together. I am wondering if my pointonlineoverlayer settings are the cause. The settings are:

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @linasvebeliunas The line should be broken at the point on the line closest to the point created from the other line's endpoint. If that's not the case then please file a case with us. Could you use the Intersector or NeighborFinder instead?

Badge +2

Hi @linasvebeliunas The line should be broken at the point on the line closest to the point created from the other line's endpoint. If that's not the case then please file a case with us. Could you use the Intersector or NeighborFinder instead?

@linasvebeliunas This is a common requirement for databases like Geodatabase or Smallworld that support complex edges. You might need to break the complex edge where a line joints at a 'T' junction.

As Dan mention's, PointOnLineOverlayer will break the line at a location perpendicular to the line from the point. The point is NOT snapped to the line. So you do have to add an AnchorSnapper to shift the point to the line break, or Snapper to shift the end of the line to the new line break - in either case use Segment Snapping. You should be able to use just one Snapper (or AnchorSnapper) + PointOnLineOverlayer to get the results you need.

I've attached an example workspace (2018.0): pointonlineoverlayerexample.fmw