Question

How to separate parallel lines to create more space (for a map)

Badge

Dear FME community,

I have a shapefile with lines that are partially parallel. We want to create a map for 1:50.000 and there the parallel lines are too close together to distinguish them :-) Is there an easy way in FME to separate the lines, i.e. to make more space between them?

I think the Offsetter makes offsets for all the lines, but I only need to change the parallel one's. And each parallel line in opposite direction.

Kind regards and many thanks

Thomas

4 replies

Badge +7

Not sure if this can be helpful, but your post reminded me of a Tweet by @redgeographics I saw last month. Might want to contact Hans anyway, as he is the cartography expert!

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I am actually working on a solution for this:

It's currently work-in-progress, I don't think there will be a "perfect" solution, but right now it's "pretty darn close" with "a few seconds" of processing time for a fairly large public transit network.

It will most likely be a custom transformer that I'd be exploiting commercially, so you would have to buy a license from me.

Badge

Hi @redgeographics

that sounds great! Can you estimate when it will be ready? Would be nice if I could send me an email adress how I can contact you.

Best wishes

Thomas

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I don't think it will ever be "ready", right now it does not handle very complex situations all that well and it really depends on how clean the source data is, I tried it with some bus lines taken from OpenStreetMap, bad idea... but my other sample set is fairly clean and it does come up with decent results there.

The way I see it, it will most likely always be one of those solutions that works well for x % of the time but still requires some manual touch-up in the graphics design phase. Key now is to get that % as high as possible.

If you want you can reach me at hans@redgeographics.com, I'd be happy to take a look at any sample data you'd be able to provide.