Question

AutoCad DWG Reader Text Center / Bounding Box Incorrect

• 12 February 2019
  • 5 replies

Does anyone have a good way to extract the center point of a text string from DWG format?

In the past I've had very good luck in DGN format using a Bounding Box and Center Point Replacer.

However in these DWG's I have, the Bounding Box appears incorrect. In the image the problem is exaggerated, I believe Inspector is enlarging the texts compared tot he DWG size. The closest thing to the center point I've found is the upper right corner of the BB, but results are inconsistent, especially for text placed at an angle. Image shows text string, insertion point, BB calculated by Bounding Box Replacer, and the BB center.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @rl_gis,

This is what I'm getting when I try out something similar:

What version of FME are you currently using? 18578 is the build that I got this output with. Would it be possible to share a sample of your data and your workspace? It's odd that the center seems so off and that you would be getting inconsistent results.

Build 18586 Win 64

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Build 18586 Win 64

thanks @rl_gis! I'll try it out in the build as well. Would you be able to share your workspace and a sample of data? I can take a look and see if I can find a workaround for you that will output the correct center point.

Yes I will send you something through the report-a-problem page. BTW I queued up a simplified workspace in build 18552 Win32 and got a better result, but still appears off.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Yes I will send you something through the report-a-problem page. BTW I queued up a simplified workspace in build 18552 Win32 and got a better result, but still appears off.

Thanks for sending that in! I will look into it and get back to you soon.