Solved

Ways to export data to Arc Portal

I am designing a workflow that will streamline our our 911 data to ESRI ArcPortal as well as a local geodatabase. the information fed in is from a SQL server and represents specific apparatus information as related to a particular call, and runs through some calculations for things like response time, time on call, etc.. I've gotten to the point where the data splits off in 2 streams one for apparatus data and another for unique call data compiled by merging apparatus information and aggregating the data by the Call Report number. Everything works fine to this point.

The initial run of this yielded over 600,000 features to be written since a dataset of call information didn't exist prior this was expected. This initial dataset was then uploaded to our portal service since the Portal writer appears to only insert, update or delete. I run the script daily to pull the previous days call information and when it got to the point that the data was going to be pushed to our portal I get an error that "Input feature does not have a global id". Understandable since the data would not have on assigned to it.

In short I am looking help getting the data posted to our portal and I'm not sure of the best approach to tackle this is.

icon

Best answer by trentatsafe 22 May 2019, 17:03

View original

4 replies

Badge +6

Hello @nicholas110,

I have a few questions for you, to provide me with some more context:

1) It sounds like the Feature service already exists in Portal, is that correct?

2) When running the translation, are these new features(inserts) or updates to existing features(updates)?

3) Can you toggle Log Debug on, and run the translation again and share the log file? Log Debug can be toggled on via Tools > FME Options > Translation > Log Settings. This should provide us with some more information regarding the error.

4) Are you able to access the Feature Service in Portal via the WebUI?

@trentatsafe thanks for getting back to me.

1)Yes the Feature already exists in Portal.

2)All the features that pass through the translation are new features (calls from the previous day).

3)Here is the logfile from our data pull today LogFile for data pull 05082019.txt

4) Through the Portal website? yes the layer shows up in the list of features and the data that is in it displays on the a map when added.

Thanks.

Badge +6

After a call with Nicholas, the solution for this particular case had to do with a case mismatch between the incoming features and the Portal Feature Layer Schema. By ensuring the case matched and adding a GlobalID/GUID to the features. The data was able to be successfully written to ArcGIS Portal.

Always important to remember that FME is case-sensitive.

Badge +14

Hi @nicholas110, how much data are you going to be pushing up to portal each time the job runs? If you have created the service as a hosted feature service and have a lot of data to push up each time it's ran, I strongly suggest looking at this thread, and using the append function as it will make your writes incredibly faster.