Question

Error while retrieving an ArcObjects update cursor for the table/feature class 'TRANS.PipeSegment'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147215975'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The number of points is less than required for feature}

• 18 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge

I am performing a combination of inserts and updates to sde db. I continue to receive this message:

Error while retrieving an ArcObjects update cursor for the table/feature class 'TRANS.PipeSegment'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147215975'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The number of points is less than required for feature}

I have read the ESRI documentation regarding this message and performed all workarounds. However, I do not believe they apply to this particular situation. Furthermore, I have inspected the geometry of the features and everything checks out.

I have used this workspace in the past with no issues, but since updating to recent builds I have experienced this never-before-seen problem. For all incoming features, I have the fme_db_operation attribute set to either UPDATE or INSERT accordingly. upon checking the failing feature, it does have the expected value for fme_db_operation.

The writer is configured as shown below:

This is a subset of the inspected data showing the fme_db_operation values:

Does anyone have any insight as to what is causing the above error and ultimately failure to write?

4 replies

Badge +6

Hello @freddybutler

Without being able to visualize the data, I am making a guess. There could be a couple of things occurring here that result in the error you describe. One thought is that when writing to the SDE table, the features are snapping as a result of the Geodatabase's tolerance setting. You can try to mimic this behavior through the use of an ArcSDEGridSnapper. This will treat the features as if they had been written to the SDE, thus allowing you to check if the Writer is snapping certain lines together and forcing them to be treated as a Point. This is probably the best option to use to investigate.

Alternatively, could try routing all features through a GeometryFilter/Forcer to ensure that the features are a Line Geometry.

Let me know if that helps. If it doesn't help, if you could write out one of the features to an FFS file, and zip that up in your workspace(Save as a template) and we can take a look at it.

Badge +4

@freddybutler, I am having the same issue with a big pipeline feature class that comes from a vendor file geodatabase, and when loading it into ArcSDE, get this same error with a few lines. Most likely because some segment points are so close that they exceed the SDE tolerance. However, I have no problem loading it into SDE using ESRI ArcCatalog. Wondering what is the best way to overcome this in FME. I am at FME 2018.1.

Badge +4

Tried GeometryValidator and GeometryFilter, none of them works.

Badge

Tried GeometryValidator and GeometryFilter, none of them works.

Not sure if your system utilizes control points or not, but that seems to be the issue that I have from time-to-time. Check your vertices to see if they are strictly increasing in their M value (measured value). Sometimes, the precision is more precise than that of the gdb and is possibly the cause of non-increasing values. Also, as you mentioned, it may also be from points being too close.