Solved

Changing attribute types of dataset

• 27 February 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I have a street centerline data set which has street width information. I would like to buffer the lines by using GeographicallyBufferer based on the width information (to be more precise sum(div(@Value(SURFACEWID),2),16.4042) is my buffer size). However I can not because the street width attribute has long type. Is there any way to change it so that I could use the value of the attribute and use aritmetics with it.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by david_r 27 February 2019, 10:04

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4

If you need to change the data type of an existing table, you have a few options:

• Use the data format administration tool (ArcCatalog, PgAdmin, etc) to try and change the data type, when possible
  • Use FME and copy the data into a new table with the modified data type, then delete the old table.
  • Recreate the table from scratch with the correct data type, then reload the data.

Badge +1

If you need to change the data type of an existing table, you have a few options:

• Use the data format administration tool (ArcCatalog, PgAdmin, etc) to try and change the data type, when possible
  • Use FME and copy the data into a new table with the modified data type, then delete the old table.
  • Recreate the table from scratch with the correct data type, then reload the data.

Thanks for the answer @david_r. What do you mean by copy data into new table? Which transformer does allow me to do that?

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the answer @david_r. What do you mean by copy data into new table? Which transformer does allow me to do that?

No transformer necessary, just Reader -> Writer.

Badge +1

thanks @david_r! I went for option 2 and it does work.