Question

Equivalent tool for “explode” of ArcGIS in FME,

• 3 September 2014
  • 5 replies

Badge +5
Equivalent tool for “explode” of ArcGIS in FME,

I couldn’t figure out which tool is equivalent to “explode” tool of ArcGIS in FME. With this tool, polygons and polylines are converted to lines.

Thank you

Best

Jamal

5 replies

Badge

Try the GeometryCoercer transformer.

Regards

Mark
Badge +5
Thanks Mark. It appears not to work.

Please, have a look on the screenshot below.

1. The number of lines remains the same as they are converted to polygons.

2. Also, as I wanted to have the output in feature class, the output is switched to one

What might be the issue here?
Badge
You can also try using the AreaBuilder transformer: http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Transformers/Default.htm#Transformers/areabuilder.htm

Badge
Hello Jamal,

As seen in your screenshot, you seem to be trying to build polygons from your arcs, lines, and areas. 

What you might wish to do is run the areas through a GeometryCoercer to coerce them to lines, then run those together with the arcs and lines through an Intersector to reduce the segments and split the lines at intersections. Last but not least use an AreaBuilder to actually make the polygons.

The reason why you're only getting 1 feature output is probably because your translation is failing. What is your log saying?
Badge +5
Manyt thanks Matthew and Ragje for the help,

In my case, the parcels are drawn in one layer called “Parcels_Geometry”. I wanted to do the following

http://www.mediafire.com/download/doxp7pm0ozd1fh9/Parcels_02.dwg

1. To extract the layer (with “tester” command)

2. To explode all the content of the layer

3. To remove the duplicates in the layer

4. To convert all the contents of this layer into lines

5. To convert lines to polygon

What might be the best practice to do so in the workbench? Is the workbench below is efficient?