Question

SQL Server BIT datatype not supported when writing to MySQL

• 20 March 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge

I'd like to report what I suspect might be a bug with the MySQL data writer. Applies to FME 2015 Workbench.

I have a simple workspace consisting of a SQL Server data reader and a MySQL data writer. It reads a MS SQL table with some fields being a BIT data type. This then gets pushed out to a MySQL database (using a drop command first). I observed some problems with this, specifically to do with the BIT datatype.

(1) - The MySQL data writer dialog lacks support for BIT type. The nearest type FME can use is TINYINT. See screenshot below. Even if I choose Manual attribute definition, there is no "BIT" datatype in the dropdown list.

(2) - You would assume that there shouldn't be any difficulty writing a Bit (1 or 0) to a Tinyint. However FME reports errors during the write process. Even trying various different types: int, smallint, varchar produced same results.

Insert failed on table 'lynx_animals'. Error was 'Incorrect integer value: 'Yes' for column 'Sterilised' at row 1'

(3) - FME falsely reports that the write process was successful, even though no records were written (all records failed).

Am I right in assuming this to be a bug? What would be a work-around?

5 replies

Badge +5

Check the value that is coming out of the FME SQL Server reader. I've run into this before... FME might be interpreting the 0/1 values as no/yes, which can't be written to MySQL tinyint. You might need to convert that values in the workspace...

Badge

Thanks Nic! If I inspect the data from the reader, the 1's and 0's from SQL Server are indeed being implicitly converted to a text string "Yes" and "No" by FME internally.

Here's the results from the inspector:

And here's the raw data in SQL Server:

Should this be even happening? FME is doing its own casting of a BIT value, which in my particular case I don't want as it undermines the output/writing stage which still requires 1's and 0's. I can try converting them back, but it will create unnecessary work if there's dozens of columns in many other tables.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Looks like FME is interpreting the SQL Server "bit" datatype as a boolean and a quick glance at the MySQL datatypes doesn't seem to show anything that's compatible with that, so a tinyint would be an acceptable substitution I suppose (perhaps a char or an enum).

That does mean you'll have to convert the value yourself, an AttributeManager with a conditional value would do the trick.

Badge

Looks like FME is interpreting the SQL Server "bit" datatype as a boolean and a quick glance at the MySQL datatypes doesn't seem to show anything that's compatible with that, so a tinyint would be an acceptable substitution I suppose (perhaps a char or an enum).

That does mean you'll have to convert the value yourself, an AttributeManager with a conditional value would do the trick.

Thanks redgeographics. I still think that a Boolean should be handled as a 1 or 0 internally by FME, not be converted to a text string as that is purely an abstraction for the benefit of the user interface.

Unfortunately there's no AttributeManager in FME 2015, so I ended up using two StringReplacers for the Yes and No conversion. The advantage here is you can specify multiple columns to be converted in one step.

Badge

I forgot to mention, the MySQL database does have a BIT data type, it's just that the FME MySQL Writer doesn't have it, so it picks TINYINT as the nearest thing.