Question

LAS to GLTF - RGB colors missing

• 21 March 2019
  • 4 replies

As the question suggests I cant seem to find instructions on how to convert LAS scans to GLTF format and retain the color_red, color_green, color_blue values. I've expereince with successful conversion of CAD models to GLTF but the resulting LAStoGLTF refuses to play ball. I've tried various combinations of reading LAS > use PointCloudPropertyExtractor to expose color data and even forced the issue with PointCloudLASClassColorSetter but all to no avail. The resulting GLB is created using default white colors leaving me with non-viewable model. Is this translation just too new a possibility for GLTF writer or am I missing something fundamental here (most probably I hope!). Thanks for any advice.

Source LAS from Drone:

Resulting GLB model:

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @mdjohns,

I'm sorry, but FME currently writes only the x, y and z components of the point cloud to glTF. I have created an enhancement request to add the red, green and blue components to the writer, and will notify you as soon as this is available in beta.

Hi @mdjohns,

I'm sorry, but FME currently writes only the x, y and z components of the point cloud to glTF. I have created an enhancement request to add the red, green and blue components to the writer, and will notify you as soon as this is available in beta.

@daveatsafe thanks for reply. Hope this is released asap as we see it as a key format in our projects.

Hi

I have a LAS (LIAR) file and I want to convert it to GLTF. FME can help me with the task? Does the trial version work for me?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi

I have a LAS (LIAR) file and I want to convert it to GLTF. FME can help me with the task? Does the trial version work for me?

Hi @guillermolh​,

The trial version of FME is fully functional, and should be able to convert your LAS file to GLTF.