Question

User Parameter: 'Attribute Name' type user parameter not giving attribute options in the FME quick translator

• 23 October 2017
  • 1 reply

Please, I’m having some challenge creating a user parameter (usable in the FME Quick translator) that allows the user to specify an ‘attribute’ to participate in a query that selects a list of settlements planned for visit on a particular day of a campaign so that only settlements with a Y (yes) value for e.g. day_1 (selected by the user) participate in the analysis for that day.

Sample table:

What I already did:

• Created a user parameter called ‘Day_of_Campaign’ (type: choice) where I have preloaded options day_1, day_2, day_3 etc. representing the attributes (tried using type: attribute name but this doesn’t allow you a drop down of the choices using the ‘FME Quick translator’ (I want less interaction with the actual workspace - need this run from the quick translator so the users don't mistakenly alter the workspace/transformations)

• ‘Set workbench to prompt…’ so that this parameter prompts the user for an input (e.g. day_1, day_2 etc) using the FME Quick Translator. But before then I have created a tester/testfilter pointing to this parameter

Issue:

• Using the ‘choice’ type parameter - within the workspace, the prompt has you either select from the drop-down list or set of attributes. The first option does not perform the query because the testfilter $(Day_of_Campaign) sees just a ‘text’, whereas the second option calls in an actual attribute () to query (and this works)

• On the FME quick translator, you do not get the option to select an ‘actual attribute’ () as is applicable within the workspace and so the attribute query does not perform

• Using the ‘attribute name’ type user parameter, on the other hand, does not give you an option to select from the list of attributes in the FME Quick Translator (says 'No attribute available')

What I'd like to achieve:

Create a user parameter that allows the user see options to select attributes (e.g. ) on the FME Quick Translator to make the query happen.

Sorry, it's a lot of text, just wanted to make sure I provide sufficient context to guide your contributions

Thank you

@daleatsafe @Mark2AtSafe

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +14

Hi @okoegbe,

Just making sure I understand what you are looking for. You would like to create a User Parameter in FME that can be used in Quick Translator for users to select day_1, day_2, day_3 or day_4 and nothing else. You also want them to pick a day and if they don't it shouldn't be able to run. Correct?

Which version of FME are you using?

-Liz