Question

Workflow does not Automatically Optimise Bulk Mode?

Badge +3

Now, ever since discovering Bulk Mode transformers like FeatureJoiner, AttributeFilter, AttributeManager etc. my WorkBench designs look radically different to my "old" ways of doing things in FME. Gone are almost all of my Testers, FeatureMergers etc.

One of the things I had been meaning to test though is "Does FME automatically activate Bulk Mode where possible or do you maybe have to "Force" it? "

It appears that in many workflows they do not automatically switch the Transformer into Bulk Mode!!!

Example 1 - AttributeFilters (Bulk Mode capable) fed from a Tester (Not Bulk Mode capable)

Takes 55 seconds to complete.

Example 2 - AttributeFilters (Bulk Mode capable) fed from a Dummy FeatureJoiner (Manually forces Workflow back into Bulk Mode)

Takes 23 seconds to complete despite having a extra FeatureJoiner! Here I just match on any random fields with FeatureJoiner. I'm not actually trying to Join anything, but rather "force" the workflow back into Bulk Mode because FeatureJoiner ONLY outputs in bulk mode, whereas other Transformers don't.

So, open this up to any comments/suggestions. Any better way to "get" a Workflow to use Bulk Mode when it is available? Best I can come up with is inserting a FeatureJoiner upstream of any downstream Bulk Mode capable Transformers.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!