Solved

FME Server email subscription unable to send email (log says its successful)

• 19 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have an issue that's an emergency. We frequently rely on FME Servers email subscription to send out emails. We use that service to notify ourselves if a scheduled script fails to run. We use it to notify clients when certain data is available for them to download.

This week, all of a sudden those emails stopped delivering. I ran some tests today. Nothing. We have a script that notifies FME Server. The notification is received successfully. The subscription is also running successfully it seems.

I checked the email log that falls under \\resources\\logs\\core\\current\\subscribers\\PVSRVFME_email.log

The log says all the emails have been "successfully sent"

I haven't received any of the failure notification, not any other kind of emails.

These are my FME Subscriber setting. It has been like this for months and the emails are usually sent fine

Please let me know what can be done. Its really necessary to have this service started again for us.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Fariya

icon

Best answer by jlutherthomas 19 January 2018, 16:52

View original

4 replies

Badge +2

Hi @fariyafarhad

As FME Server is thinking the emails have been successfully sent, are you able to talk to the email exchange admins at your company and see if they can see any logs on their end where things might not be working? Or if any thing has changed on the exchange side?

Have you tried recreating the subscription (or a new one to test) to see if that works with another account on your email account?

As a temporary work around you could use the emailer transformer in a workspace, and get things to call to that workspace subscription instead of the email subscription. Also the emailer would be a good test to see if you can send emails from that successfully.

Hi @fariyafarhad

As FME Server is thinking the emails have been successfully sent, are you able to talk to the email exchange admins at your company and see if they can see any logs on their end where things might not be working? Or if any thing has changed on the exchange side?

Have you tried recreating the subscription (or a new one to test) to see if that works with another account on your email account?

As a temporary work around you could use the emailer transformer in a workspace, and get things to call to that workspace subscription instead of the email subscription. Also the emailer would be a good test to see if you can send emails from that successfully.

Hi @jlutherthomas

Thank your for your suggestions. Recreating the subscription yielded the same result.

I involved our IT to see if anything is wrong on the email exchange side. I also tried the Emailer transformer. It does not work with the smtp we were using but that it works with Gmail service and if I use my own Gmail connection. You may be right and there may be some issue on the exchange side. The emailer and subscription basically has the same functionality correct? What is the difference in how they send the email? Is there a log I can look up for the emailer? thanks

We will use that as a temporary solution but ideally, we would like to use the subscription to send emails. Especially for notification upon failure of scheduled scripts.

Badge +11
Hi @jlutherthomas

Thank your for your suggestions. Recreating the subscription yielded the same result.

I involved our IT to see if anything is wrong on the email exchange side. I also tried the Emailer transformer. It does not work with the smtp we were using but that it works with Gmail service and if I use my own Gmail connection. You may be right and there may be some issue on the exchange side. The emailer and subscription basically has the same functionality correct? What is the difference in how they send the email? Is there a log I can look up for the emailer? thanks

We will use that as a temporary solution but ideally, we would like to use the subscription to send emails. Especially for notification upon failure of scheduled scripts.

Hi @fariyafarhad, I'm not sure about the underlying mechanism – i.e. libraries – used in the Emailer compared to the Email Subscription, but the Emailer log would show in the translation / job log if there were any errors.

Userlevel 4

I agree with @jlutherthomas, if the FME Server logs says the mail has been sent, the problem probably lies with the mail server and not with FME Server. The fact that the EMailer transformer gives the exact same result and that you're able to use gmail but not your internal mail server reinforces that suspicion.