Solved

FME Server Automation Trigger Schedule Type "Basic" Not Working

• 26 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hello,

FME Server 2019.2 build 19801 running with FME Cloud

I think that these two settings for a Trigger in an Automation configuration should be equivalent, but the left setting - Schedule Type "Basic" didn't trigger any action actually, whereas the right setting - "Repeat On Interval" is working as expected.

Am I missing something? Or it was a defect on the "Basic" type and has been fixed already in a newer version?

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 28 January 2020, 00:11

View original

5 replies

Badge +2

UPDATE: FMESERVER-14237 has been resolved for FME Server 2021.1 b21574. The basic schedule type (in Schedules and Automations) now triggers at the first interval set.

Hi @takashi,

I'm sorry you encountered this issue, thank you for reporting it to us. When creating a Schedule Type = Basic the time must be configured to the time zone of the FME Server that runs the task, however it seems like for Schedule Type = Repeat on Interval will take the local time even on Cloud.

E.g. I use PST but my FME Cloud set up is GMT. Therefore using Type basic if I want my Schedule to run at 3pm PST I actually need to set the time to 11pm. This requirement was made clearer in 2020:

screen-shot-2020-01-27-at-30711-pm 

Therefore it is possible you will have to configure the start time differently for each type when using FME Cloud. That being said I was able to reproduce the issue where no schedule was launched at all in b20164 so I have filed this bug under FMESERVER-14237. This does appear to be an FME Cloud issue only. I have assigned this post to the issue so that you may be notified when it has been resolved.

Second, to improve the user experience I think all schedule types should use the same time zone, so I have also filed an enhancement request to address this inconsistency (FMESERVER-14240).

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

UPDATE: FMESERVER-14237 has been resolved for FME Server 2021.1 b21574. The basic schedule type (in Schedules and Automations) now triggers at the first interval set.

Hi @takashi,

I'm sorry you encountered this issue, thank you for reporting it to us. When creating a Schedule Type = Basic the time must be configured to the time zone of the FME Server that runs the task, however it seems like for Schedule Type = Repeat on Interval will take the local time even on Cloud.

E.g. I use PST but my FME Cloud set up is GMT. Therefore using Type basic if I want my Schedule to run at 3pm PST I actually need to set the time to 11pm. This requirement was made clearer in 2020:

screen-shot-2020-01-27-at-30711-pm 

Therefore it is possible you will have to configure the start time differently for each type when using FME Cloud. That being said I was able to reproduce the issue where no schedule was launched at all in b20164 so I have filed this bug under FMESERVER-14237. This does appear to be an FME Cloud issue only. I have assigned this post to the issue so that you may be notified when it has been resolved.

Second, to improve the user experience I think all schedule types should use the same time zone, so I have also filed an enhancement request to address this inconsistency (FMESERVER-14240).

Thanks for your clarification and filing the PR.

Hi @hollyatsafe​ 

The Basic Schedule Type doesn't seem to work at all under FME Cloud, regardless of the time zone. I can schedule an Automation to run in either GMT or local time, but it is never triggered. Currently running an instance under FME Server 2020.1.3 Build 20632 - linux-x64

Badge +2

Hi @hollyatsafe​ 

The Basic Schedule Type doesn't seem to work at all under FME Cloud, regardless of the time zone. I can schedule an Automation to run in either GMT or local time, but it is never triggered. Currently running an instance under FME Server 2020.1.3 Build 20632 - linux-x64

Hi @kbc​ ,

Further investigation on FMESERVER-14237 discovered that the problem with the Basic schedule was that it does not trigger on the very first instance it should, but if you leave the schedule enabled every recurrence thereafter works as expected.

For example I create a Basic Schedule set to start on Tuesday 24th November at 10am, Recurrence=Daily. The schedule will not trigger on the first instance, that is, Tuesday 10am, but will then trigger correctly on Wed,Thurs,Fri etc at 10am. This issue has not yet been fixed, but knowing this, I hope you are able to workaround this bug.

Hi @kbc​ ,

Further investigation on FMESERVER-14237 discovered that the problem with the Basic schedule was that it does not trigger on the very first instance it should, but if you leave the schedule enabled every recurrence thereafter works as expected.

For example I create a Basic Schedule set to start on Tuesday 24th November at 10am, Recurrence=Daily. The schedule will not trigger on the first instance, that is, Tuesday 10am, but will then trigger correctly on Wed,Thurs,Fri etc at 10am. This issue has not yet been fixed, but knowing this, I hope you are able to workaround this bug.

@hollyatsafe​ OK, I cam work with that, thank you!