Question

FME Failure to read IFC geometries

• 17 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello,

I am trying to open IFC 2X3 files of 2MB size that have been exported from Aecosim and FME 2019.0 returns an error.

or returns only the semantics of the IFC.

I am able to open successfully other IFC files that were created some months ago, so this is quite unexpected considering I have not changed the parameters that I was always using.

As I suspect this is quite an abstract question and testing with the model would be necessary, would it possible for a colleague of FME to assist due to data confidentiality issues?

Of course, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

George Floros

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @georgefloros,

I've got a few quick questions that might help troubleshoot:

• Are you able to open the IFC file in any other viewer such as Solibri or the FZK Viewer aside from Aecosim?
  • Is this a single file that is causing this error, or do you have multiple IFC files that are also producing this error in FME?

One thing to try is to open up the IFC file in notepad++ and see if there are any special characters in there such as Ø or any symbols that appear to superscript like a degree symbol. If there are any, please let me know as we do have an existing issue handling special characters.

If your data is confidential, this might be best addressed as a case, if you'd be open to sending it here with a full log file, and if possible, a sample IFC file: (https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/ )

Badge

Hello @jovitaatsafe

I looked for the a symbol, but I couldn't find any.

Please see attached

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @georgefloros,

I've just responded to your case, and for the rest of the community, I've filed an issue (FMEENGINE-61572), and I'll be back to post an update here as well when the issue has been addressed in case it might be of help to someone else.

Thanks!

-Jovita