Question

Merging shapefiles

• 14 January 2016
  • 4 replies

So this is very basic question...I'm a super newbie :)

I have a GDB that has right-of-way lengths (called CurrentROW) and I wanted to merge the features that had similar lengths. First I kept the attributes that I wanted and then fanned them out into a new shapefile. Now I want to take the similar shapefiles and merge them into one. The picture might help...

I have three shapefiles that all have the same attribute information but were named different. I just want one shapefile that has all three in it.

How do I do this?

4 replies

Badge +10

Can you use the AttributeFilter to split the features instead of Fanning out and then just keep the features you need? Sorry, its not clear to me why you're writing the data out in the first step?

@1spatialdave I guess I thought that was how I had to do it?

Badge +10

@1spatialdave I guess I thought that was how I had to do it?

Suggest you post your sample dataset and an understanding of what you want the output to look like and I'm sure someone will help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

And if you really need the intermediate Shape files, you can read them (all three) using a single Shape Reader (use the option "Single merged feature type" at the bottom of the "Add Reader" panel) and write the data to a Shape writer using one new featuretype (the name of the new merged file).

This has to be in a new FME workspace.