Question

Error: FME.exe stopped working

Badge

Hi,

My organisation recently upgraded to FME 2019.1.1.0 (20190801 - Build 19617 - WIN64). Since the upgrade, several of my workbenches come up with the following error:

When I click 'debug the program' the following message pops up:

I saw a couple of post here from 2016 with the same question, but without solution. It was suggested to turn the debug logger on, which gives me the following error warning:

BADNEWS: File C:\\Program Files\\FME\\metafile\\MULTI_WRITER.fmf could not be opened class StatusInfo *__cdecl TableReader::checkStatus(void) const(c:\\code\\fme\\foundation\\framework\\engine\\tabrdr.cpp:169) - class StatusInfo *__cdecl TableReader::checkStatus(void) const(c:\\code\\fme\\foundation\\framework\\engine\\tabrdr.cpp:169)

Any tips or ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

First thing I would try is reinstalling FME. Preferably downloading the installer again too.

I would also doublecheck how many versions you have installed and whether the old one has been properly uninstalled. The number that's mentioned in that screenshot, 18656, could be an FME build number, in which the 18 indicates it's an FME 2018 one (I'm not saying it is, but it's worth checking out)

Badge +11

Hi @lcw,

Sorry to hear that you've run into this issue! Definitely give @redgeographics's suggestions a try first on reinstalling FME, and the downloads page can be found here.

If that doesn't resolve things for you, please run the system_information.bat file from this article on Gathering System Information and send the FME Report to us here: https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/ with a screenshot of your windows event application crash, from the Event Viewer app under Windows Administrative Tools. This will provide us with more information to investigate further into why you might be experiencing a crash. Thanks!
Badge

First thing I would try is reinstalling FME. Preferably downloading the installer again too.

I would also doublecheck how many versions you have installed and whether the old one has been properly uninstalled. The number that's mentioned in that screenshot, 18656, could be an FME build number, in which the 18 indicates it's an FME 2018 one (I'm not saying it is, but it's worth checking out)

Thanks for your help, I'll try that! Will let you know how it goes...

Badge

Hi @lcw,

Sorry to hear that you've run into this issue! Definitely give @redgeographics's suggestions a try first on reinstalling FME, and the downloads page can be found here.

If that doesn't resolve things for you, please run the system_information.bat file from this article on Gathering System Information and send the FME Report to us here: https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/ with a screenshot of your windows event application crash, from the Event Viewer app under Windows Administrative Tools. This will provide us with more information to investigate further into why you might be experiencing a crash. Thanks!

Great thank you. I'll try the reinstall first and will see how that goes...

Badge

So I worked with our ICT group today to uninstall both 2018 and 2019 on my machine, and then re-install 2019.1 again. Didn't fix the problem. When I test the same workbench on our GIS server, I get the same error, but with this additional information. Does this help in trying to work out what's going on here? Am I reading this correctly that it could have something to do with the geodatabase reader or writer I'm using in my workbench?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fme.exe

Application Version: 2019.7.37.19617

Application Timestamp: 5d447816

Fault Module Name: GEODATABASE9.dll

Fault Module Version: 2019.7.37.19617

Fault Module Timestamp: 5d447b8c

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000001e3c7a

OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.272.7

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: f995

Additional Information 2: f9955a0e2dbafa6d71c306fb2268cc27

Additional Information 3: a048

Additional Information 4: a04888b1f1c5351192b25f253d3be12d

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\\Windows\\system32\\en-US\\erofflps.txt

Badge

Hi @lcw,

Hello, I have run the batch file, my organisation's systems administrator will send it to SAFE as requested above and take it from there, since I am not the only user in my organisation affected by this issue. Many thanks for your help!

Badge +3

I've crashed FME.EXE when running particularly large models with the 32-bit FME engine.

Running the Workbench through 64-bit FME engine resolved that, but required splitting the workflows into 3 sections when Reading/Writing from ArcSDE:

• 32 bit to read source data from ArcSDE to an intermediate format (Eg. FFS)
  • 64 bit to transform to an another intermediate format (Eg. FFS)
  • 32 bit to write to ArcSDE

A better solution (not available to me currently) though is to install the ArcGIS 64 bit Background Geoprocessing Module, and then you can run your an entire Read-Transform-Write workflow through the 64 bit FME engine

Badge +11

Hello, I have run the batch file, my organisation's systems administrator will send it to SAFE as requested above and take it from there, since I am not the only user in my organisation affected by this issue. Many thanks for your help!

Hi @lcw,

have you submitted a case already and could you share the case number if so? I don't see anything in the support queue just yet. I've a few more questions in the meantime:

• Are specific workspaces causing the program crash? If so, can you send the workspace?
  • Does the crashing workspace contain a dynamic geodatabase writer? Is there an empty schema going into geodatabase writer by chance?

If you're able to share a workspace template (workspace and sample data via Save as Template), we'll try to reproduce the crash in house and our developers will then be able to take a closer look at it.

Badge

Hi @lcw,

have you submitted a case already and could you share the case number if so? I don't see anything in the support queue just yet. I've a few more questions in the meantime:

• Are specific workspaces causing the program crash? If so, can you send the workspace?
  • Does the crashing workspace contain a dynamic geodatabase writer? Is there an empty schema going into geodatabase writer by chance?

If you're able to share a workspace template (workspace and sample data via Save as Template), we'll try to reproduce the crash in house and our developers will then be able to take a closer look at it.

Hi Jovita, yes our group DBA has submitted a support case to 1Spatial, our reseller of FME. Case number is 00030900 (not sure if you can directly access their system or if they have to pass it on to you?). To answer your questions - no dynamic writer used. And how could I best share the workbench with you? Many thanks for your help!

Badge +11

Hi Jovita, yes our group DBA has submitted a support case to 1Spatial, our reseller of FME. Case number is 00030900 (not sure if you can directly access their system or if they have to pass it on to you?). To answer your questions - no dynamic writer used. And how could I best share the workbench with you? Many thanks for your help!

@lcw, excellent! I hadn't realized you guys were supported by 1Spatial, so that's perfect that you went for support through them. 1Spatial will reach out to us if they have any need, so there's no need to send me the workspace. Thanks for letting me know!

Badge

@lcw, excellent! I hadn't realized you guys were supported by 1Spatial, so that's perfect that you went for support through them. 1Spatial will reach out to us if they have any need, so there's no need to send me the workspace. Thanks for letting me know!

Thanks Jovita. Pretty disappointed with 1Spatial, it's been over a week and no one has responded to our support call so far, while I have my client breathing down my neck and waiting for their results :-/