Question

topology builder create nodes/lines on intersections even data is clear !!

• 21 September 2017
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I'm using TopologyBuilder to topology of my network.

My data is clear and I want to build topology using start/end points (Nodes).

It's working fine for me, but I have a problem with 2 cases (similar case) (from 3000 lines).

the tool is creating complexe intersections. So, splitting lines, creating additional lines and additional nodes !!

the problem is when two line are almost parallel for a while, please see below an example

but I don't want that, I want to keep the original lines and create just two nodes for each. this result distorts my network.

do you have any idea about this strange behavior ? do you have any solution ?

Thank you :)

Youssef

8 replies

Userlevel 4

The TopologyBuilder does create nodes at every intersection (barring GroupBy).

If you only need a node at the start and end of your lines, you can skip the TopologyBuilder and rather use two CoordinateExtractors (index 0 and -1) and a VertexCreator. It should also be a lot faster.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
I've encountered an issue similar to yours before, but I don't think it occurs in the current version of FME. What version of FME are you using?

I've encountered an issue similar to yours before, but I don't think it occurs in the current version of FME. What version of FME are you using?

I'm using

FME Professional Edition:

FME(R) 2013 SP4 (20131025 - Build 13547 - WIN32)

The TopologyBuilder does create nodes at every intersection (barring GroupBy).

If you only need a node at the start and end of your lines, you can skip the TopologyBuilder and rather use two CoordinateExtractors (index 0 and -1) and a VertexCreator. It should also be a lot faster.

I belive tah TopologyBuilder should not extract nodes and should not split lines at intersection IF I assume taht my data is clear :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I think upgrading FME version could resolve the issue. How about testing with the latest FME?

FME Desktop Trial

I think upgrading FME version could resolve the issue. How about testing with the latest FME?

FME Desktop Trial

I don't have it. this is the version we work with it in our company :/.

there is an workaround, is to adjust lines manually, but we should each time verify the entire network.

I had an idea, maybe if we create vertices on intersections for all line, topologybuilder will understand that are separate lines ! what do you think ? do you have a way to do it, i'll test it :)

Userlevel 4
I belive tah TopologyBuilder should not extract nodes and should not split lines at intersection IF I assume taht my data is clear :)

Yes, you're right, I forgot about that option.
Userlevel 4
I don't have it. this is the version we work with it in our company :/.

there is an workaround, is to adjust lines manually, but we should each time verify the entire network.

I had an idea, maybe if we create vertices on intersections for all line, topologybuilder will understand that are separate lines ! what do you think ? do you have a way to do it, i'll test it :)

Generally speaking, it's a pity if you have to work with a four year old version of FME, there's been a lot of improvements since then.

I'd try the following, if possible: Install FME 2017.1 to a separate directory (you can have multiple versions installed) and test if the issue has been fixed. If yes, I'd consider using that as an argument for an "official" upgrade.