Question

Turning multiple 3D lines into Solid??? bufferer is SLOW.

• 22 July 2019
  • 5 replies

I am trying to turn the image below into a solid object. The pylon model contains hundreds of individual lines, i am trying to turn this into a 3D Object - preferably solid.

I tried running the bufferer transformer with a radius of .1 but this proved to be extremely slow.

Any support guidance to turn the below image into 3D would be highly appreciated (ideally each line turning into a "tube" of some sort, extruded with a profile of 0.1m)

The file is currently being worked & edited in microstation (bentley - dgn)

Thanks

5 replies

Badge +16

Hi @ryanwilliams,

Try limiting the number of lines going into the bufferer by using the LineCombiner.

Hope this helps,

Itay

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

What format are you exporting to? Is there no way you can keep this as a 3D vector dataset? GLTF is a nice 3D format which supports vectors. So if your application supports GLTF I would encourage you to test that out.

If you must have this as a 3D solid then I would suggest as @itay has suggested. For the best result ideally you would have one single polyline. The resulting solid though will probably result in A LOT of polys which might make it tough to render.

Another option could be to try and fake it. This would be creating a mesh/multi-surface from the outside of the model and them applying some images as textures to represent the frame. Textures can be transparent and double sided (depending on the format and rendering application) so this could be a better option to got with if Performance is important, this is a common approach for example with tree models.

If you are planning to have this model used repeatedly in your application I would try with the second option.

What format are you exporting to? Is there no way you can keep this as a 3D vector dataset? GLTF is a nice 3D format which supports vectors. So if your application supports GLTF I would encourage you to test that out.

If you must have this as a 3D solid then I would suggest as @itay has suggested. For the best result ideally you would have one single polyline. The resulting solid though will probably result in A LOT of polys which might make it tough to render.

Another option could be to try and fake it. This would be creating a mesh/multi-surface from the outside of the model and them applying some images as textures to represent the frame. Textures can be transparent and double sided (depending on the format and rendering application) so this could be a better option to got with if Performance is important, this is a common approach for example with tree models.

If you are planning to have this model used repeatedly in your application I would try with the second option.
The ideal format would be DGN (Bentley microstation) - thanks for the support guys - i'll try the following in FME - line combiner - bufferer & tweak settings to see if i can speed it up. Much appreciated thanks.

Hi @ryanwilliams,

Try limiting the number of lines going into the bufferer by using the LineCombiner.

Hope this helps,

Itay

Much appreciated thanks. Regards, Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Have you solved this problem?

Regards, Fang​