Question

Can I Create Azure SQL Database connection with Active Directory with MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication)

• 23 November 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge

. Hi,

I have a server that is now in Azure which is connected only by Active Directory (Not SQL or Window Auth) .

But this option is not available in FME 2018, Is there a work around or I am missing something?

7 replies

Badge +2

@davidrich The SQL Server reader / writer does not yet support Active Directory and it doesn't look like there is a work around when using the SQL server reader/writer. However, you might be able to connect via the native JDBC reader/writer. It looks like it is possible to formulate the JDBC connection string to use Active Directory. You might also try an ODBC Active Directory connection.

@davidrich The SQL Server reader / writer does not yet support Active Directory and it doesn't look like there is a work around when using the SQL server reader/writer. However, you might be able to connect via the native JDBC reader/writer. It looks like it is possible to formulate the JDBC connection string to use Active Directory. You might also try an ODBC Active Directory connection.

@markatsafe has there been any update on this, is there the development of the SQL Server Reader/Writer to support Active Directory - Universal with MFA support?

Badge +2

@markatsafe has there been any update on this, is there the development of the SQL Server Reader/Writer to support Active Directory - Universal with MFA support?

Hi @chris,

Unfortunately, there is no update to this functionality just yet - only the JDBC workaround that Mark mentioned above. We will be sure to update this post if the status of this changes; however if you would like to stay informed via email, I would recommend submitting a case through our Report a Problem webform and reference the enhancement request: FMEENGINE-57594.

Additionally, if you would like to help move this along and get support from others in the community, it may be worthwhile to post this as a suggestion on our Ideas page.

Badge +11

I have had success with ODBC approach. But you must have the latest ODBC Driver as it supports AD. When I tested I used this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56567 and I also needed this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48742.

Badge

Just to bump this thread again. Would anyone be able to supply and show the methods alluded to marks message previously " It looks like it is possible to formulate the JDBC connection string to use Active Directory. You might also try an ODBC Active Directory connection." We're trying to come up with a solution to this. On 2020.1.

Badge

I have had success with ODBC approach. But you must have the latest ODBC Driver as it supports AD. When I tested I used this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56567 and I also needed this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48742.

Hi @steveatsafe​  Would you be able to share your solution?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Just to bump this thread again. Would anyone be able to supply and show the methods alluded to marks message previously " It looks like it is possible to formulate the JDBC connection string to use Active Directory. You might also try an ODBC Active Directory connection." We're trying to come up with a solution to this. On 2020.1.

Hi @veenendaalo​,

For better visibility, I'd suggest posting a new question and linking back to this one for context if needed. It would also help generate discussion if you could tell us more in the new post about where you seem to be stuck in the setup so the Community can best help you. Any screenshots would also help illustrate the issue. Thanks!