Question

add new column to .shp file at regular intervals

• 12 March 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hi

I am downloading a .csv file from a remote ARCGIS server, combining it with an existing .shp file and then writing out to another .shp file. This makes this one table for each instance of the remote .csv file being updated (which is daily). This is working fine.

I am looking to produce another, master, .shp file which is updated every day with the data from the newest.csv file. Each release comprises 2 new columns in the master table.

So this is the master table after the first release is inserted

And this is the release after the second release is inserted

The master .shp file will therefore have 2 new columns added on a regular basis.

I am unsure how to insert the new columns into the master .shp file each day, ensuring the column names reflect the 2 additional entries. I'm thinking something like adding a counter to the column names

I'd welcome any suggestions anyone could provide

thanks

Simon Hume

1 reply

Badge +10

Why wouldn't you just write a master shape file with the existing schema? You have the date included so easy to filter if required and it's much more straightforward to work with data structured in that way.

Shapefile is not a great way to keep the master data either, as you can never truly update it, just create from scratch each day.