Question

Compare base to all candidates in NeighborFinder

Hello,

I am trying to find the distance between a point feature class and polygon feature class with the NeighborFinder.

The points are the base, and polygons the candidates. I have a max distance of 5000m.

The actual scenario is finding the distance between houses and well sites. I need to find out which well sites are within 5km of each house, and record the distance to and ID of the well.

The result that I am getting is only one candidate/base.

I would like to have multiple records for each base, showing the distance to each candidate.

My parameters are attached.

Thank you.

2 replies

Badge +12

You just need to tick on the "Generate List" and don't bother about putting any number (leave blank) in "Number of Neighbors to Find" just incase there was more than 5000 (not likely, but you want to be sure that you are fuinding everything based on your scenario).

That will give you a list of all the features within that distance, with all the associated distances, angles etc

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the help.

Getting the result I was looking for required a few more steps.

For anyone else looking to do the same analysis. Generating a list is the method to get a 1:M relationship. However, this seems to remove or alter the geometry, so you need to merge the geometry back onto the list. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain that in more detail.

Getting this to work required a few chat sessions with FME help. And ultimately it was a coworker who got the analysis to work.

ListExploder on the Matched port:

Then FeatureMerger to get the geometry of the Base points. With the Elements as the Requestor and the Base features as the supplier.

Finally, some of the address point were within the Candidate polygons, so I used the Clipper to only write the points that were outside of the Candidate Polygons.

-Ryan