Solved

NetCDF – problem with spatial reference

Badge

Dear FME-users,

I’ve created a GeoTIFF-file based on NetCDF-data.

The problem is the spatial reference. A compare to OSM-data in the attachment shows you, that the GeoTIFF-file is not placed right. The second picture is from Copernicus and right placed.

Do you have an idea?

Thank your very much.

Best regards.

Konrad

icon

Best answer by uba_kp 25 April 2017, 13:47

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4

Can you tell us

• What is the SRS used in the NetCDF?
  • What is the SRS you've specified in the GeoTiff writer?
  • Which SRS is used in the GeoTiff from Copernicus?
Badge

Hi @david_r,

SRS used in the NetCDF is "LL84",

SRS I've specified in the GeoTITFF-writer is "LL-WGS84"

and Copernicus uses the SRS "EPSG:4326".

What I know is, that the long-degree-numbers oft the NetCDF are specific. Left to O° is like right to O°: 10°, 20°, 30° and so on.

Thank your very much.

Best regards.

Konrad

Userlevel 4

I'm not sure what you mean about "the long-degree-numbers oft the NetCDF are specific", but it doesn't sound like a regular LL84. Some meteo/climatological agencies use rotated spherical coordinates, could that possibly be the case here?

If you open the NetCDF in the Data Inspector, could you post a screenshot here of the netcdf_coordinate_variable{} list contents, that would be helpful.

Badge

Of course @david_r.

Badge
fme-inspector-netcdf.png

I haven’t found a solution for this problem yet. Maybe I’ve to solve this problem step by step.

First thing is that the NetCDF-Image is distorted in the Inspector. The resolution should have 700*400 pixel. I suspect that something is wrong with the distance but I don’t know how to change it. You can take a look in the attachment.

Does anybody have an idea what I can do?

Thank you so much. :)
Userlevel 4

If your NetCDF is distorted in the Inspector, it is most probably due a problem with your raster before it even hits the NetCDF writer. Send the workspace output to the Inspector instead of the NetCDF writer to verify.

Badge

Thank you very much for you answer @david_r. But it does not help. Do you’ve some more ideas what I can do? Thanks.

Userlevel 4

Not without analyzing the input data, the workspace and the output all together, which unfortunately takes more time than I can spare these days. NetCDF is a complex format that can be time-consuming to work with.

If you're completely stuck, consider contacting a local FME Certified Professional, many of them work as consultants and might be able to help you along.

Badge

I’ve found a solution with „RasterGeoreferencer“ and I’ve used the expansion of the NetCDF input data. Now it works. Thank your very much @david_r.

Userlevel 4

I’ve found a solution with „RasterGeoreferencer“ and I’ve used the expansion of the NetCDF input data. Now it works. Thank your very much @david_r.

Excellent, glad to hear you found a solution. Thanks for sharing.