Question

remove side contours from clipped Surface

• 18 March 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge

I am using surfaceModeller to generate TIN surfaces, I need them to be stacked as they represent various height and they have to be like that.

Triangulation and draping work ok, the only thing I would like to remove are the contours on the side.

See image of the pdf as example of output. I already tried a negative buffer but it does not work as it removes also some internal contours that I would like to keep.

Could anyone help?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @alex_chris,

You can use a Clipper transformer to trim the side contours. To generate, the clip boundary, please try a HullReplacer transformer on the source points, then a Bufferer to shrink the hull polygon slightly inside the points. You seem to have three point sets in your source - I would recommend doing the process separately for each set.

Badge +16

Don't know what I am exactly looking at but it looks very artistic! FME Art?

Badge

Hi @alex_chris,

You can use a Clipper transformer to trim the side contours. To generate, the clip boundary, please try a HullReplacer transformer on the source points, then a Bufferer to shrink the hull polygon slightly inside the points. You seem to have three point sets in your source - I would recommend doing the process separately for each set.

Hi @daveatsafe, thanks for your response. I managed to get the side contours out of the way. I replaced TIN Generator with Surface modeller, and before sending the raster to become TIN I clip with a slightly negative buffer the clipper, and submit it to the SurfaceModeller in the drapeFeatures port. After that, I get the outputs from the SurfaceModeller separately (Triangles, Draped features) and I clip them again, using the draped features as clippers and the triangles as clippee. 

It was inspired by this article.

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1310/how-to-clip-tin-surfaces.html

Here is a screenshot of the detail of the workflow (The attribute managers are there because I have to re-set the "fme_feature_type" attribute that for some reasons it gets lost (but that's another issue)0684Q00000ArMqNQAV.jpg

Now as you are here @daveatsafe, I have another issue exporting to PDF 3D, basically labels don't get written to the output and they show up as squares. I post an example of PDF so that you can have a look.

In the inspector I can see the labels show up but when FME tries to write to PDF3D the following warning appears in the log:

... Last line repeated 154 times ...
OBJ Writer: Unknown geometry type 'IFMEText' is not supported, the feature will not be written
... Last line repeated 59 times ...
OBJ Writer: Unknown geometry type 'IFMEText

Could you or anyone else help on that? 

Thanks 

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @daveatsafe, thanks for your response. I managed to get the side contours out of the way. I replaced TIN Generator with Surface modeller, and before sending the raster to become TIN I clip with a slightly negative buffer the clipper, and submit it to the SurfaceModeller in the drapeFeatures port. After that, I get the outputs from the SurfaceModeller separately (Triangles, Draped features) and I clip them again, using the draped features as clippers and the triangles as clippee. 

It was inspired by this article.

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1310/how-to-clip-tin-surfaces.html

Here is a screenshot of the detail of the workflow (The attribute managers are there because I have to re-set the "fme_feature_type" attribute that for some reasons it gets lost (but that's another issue)0684Q00000ArMqNQAV.jpg

Now as you are here @daveatsafe, I have another issue exporting to PDF 3D, basically labels don't get written to the output and they show up as squares. I post an example of PDF so that you can have a look.

In the inspector I can see the labels show up but when FME tries to write to PDF3D the following warning appears in the log:

... Last line repeated 154 times ...
OBJ Writer: Unknown geometry type 'IFMEText' is not supported, the feature will not be written
... Last line repeated 59 times ...
OBJ Writer: Unknown geometry type 'IFMEText

Could you or anyone else help on that? 

Thanks 

Hi @alex_chris,

PDF 3D doesn't support text geometries. However, you can convert these to 3D surfaces using a combination of the TextStroker and Extruder transformers.