Question

FME Weekly Quiz Results: Myles Shepherd (March 2020-3)

• 17 March 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello FME'ers,

This week's quiz matched you against Myles Shepherd, a developer in our geometry team at Safe. Myles knows a lot about the inner workings of the FME geometry model, but does he know the sort of things about FME in general that I'll ask here?

Let's see...

Answers

1) A simple question to start with. Which is the real data format?

• Spanish UFC
  • German MfG
  • Danish UFO
  • British NME
  • Belgian LOL

The answer is Danish UFO, which is one of my favourite formats for the name alone:

0684Q00000ArBNKQA3.png

If only the file extension was .x, then the prompt could read "Select the UFO X Files"!

Let's see what the other acronyms I used are:

• UFC = Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • MfG = mit freundlichem Gruß (with best regards)
  • NME = New Musical Express (a one-time music magazine, now web-only)
  • LOL = Laugh Out Loud, LOL

Interestingly, I have no idea, and can't find out, what UFO stands for! But I'm sure it's nothing to do with rumvæsener (aliens).

Myles' Answer: German MfG (Incorrect)

2) Which of these FME World Tour venues in Canada draws the largest attendance?

• Calgary
  • Ottawa
  • Toronto
  • Vancouver
  • Winnipeg

This year the answer is... they all draw zero attendance, because they are cancelled.

I should be clear that we can only speak for the Safe-organized events. Partners will no doubt assess the position themselves so keep an eye out if you are registered for a partner event. It's likely we'll be doing some online events to try and make up for the cancellations.

The only good thing to come out of this is that Safe is still donating the expected attendance money to food banks - which is a good thing because I think food banks might get a bit more use in the coming months. You still get a refund for any tickets purchased, but you do have the option of donating them as well, to double the donation.

Anyway, in any normal year, the answer is Calgary:

0684Q00000ArBNeQAN.jpg

It's not Canada's largest city; it's not the home of FME; but Calgary draws the biggest crowd, even more than Toronto and Vancouver.

Myles' Answer: Toronto (Incorrect)

3) FME2020 launched last week. Which of these is a new type of user parameter?

• Web Connection
  • Geometry
  • Barcode
  • Choice with Alias (Multiple)
  • Hop Variety

The answer is that there is a new Geometry type parameter. It's only intended to be used in FME Server, but when you do, it prompts you to select a geometry from a web map:

0684Q00000ArBNUQA3.png

Oh, I've wanted this for so long! I tried above to pick out Safe's office, but had to put a box around the area in general because I've only been there once and it's hard to remember! The result, by the way, is returned as what looks like GeoJSON to me:

{"type":"Polygon","coordinates":[[[-122.84586,49.176877],[-122.84586,49.17929],[-122.839766,49.17929],[-122.839766,49.176877],[-122.84586,49.176877]]]}

This works on an app too, and even if you use that app in your phone's web browser. It's not supported in the FME Data Express app though.

As to the other choices:

• Web Connection: Already existed
  • Barcode: A new option on the FME Data Express app, but it uses Text user parameters
  • Choice with Alias (Multiple): Already existed.
  • Hop Variety: Well you could make that as a choice, if you were writing data to BeerXML (which is a real thing, I can assure you!)

Here's a screenshot of the barcode reader, by the way, reading the closest bar code I had to hand:

0684Q00000ArBHOQA3.png

You just click the "More" link and give your device access to the camera. It should be able to read both regular barcodes and QR codes.

Myles' Answer: Web Connection (Incorrect)

4) The earliest implementation of the FME Community was called what?

• FME Groups
  • FME Talk
  • FME Community Answers
  • FME Solutions
  • MyFMESpace

It was FME Talk. This was first hosted on Yahoo! (1998-2005) then Google (2005-2012). After that it was called FME Community Answers for a while. Both the Yahoo! and Google groups still exist, though they are closed to new postings:

0684Q00000ArBNPQA3.png

Interestingly, we also had FMEpedia (a wiki-style knowledgebase) and FME User Central. In fact both fmepedia.com and fmeusercentral.com still work as URLs, redirecting you to the current community (even if they do prompt terrifying security warnings).

Myles' Answer: FME Community Answers (Incorrect)

5) I add a Shapefile to my workspace, but nothing appears on the canvas and it doesn't appear in the list of readers in the Navigator. Why?

• The dataset has no feature types
  • I used the wrong format (SHAPEFILE, not ESRISHAPE)
  • I added it as a resource reader
  • I used the Generic format
  • There is an "R" in the name of the month

Let's deal with the wrong answers first. If a source dataset has no feature types, it usually still appears as a reader; there just are no feature types listed. This might vary per format, but I wasn't about to try 300+ different formats just to check.

Even if I used SHAPEFILE, not ESRISHAPE (one of them is the old version, the other the new one) that wouldn't mean I would get no reader.

The Generic format would still give me a reader (albeit not a Shapefile one) and having an "R" in the month should make no difference (in English, at least).

Only a resource reader won't appear as a reader. Instead it will appear under Workspace Resources, further down in the Navigator window:

0684Q00000ArB3aQAF.png

A resource reader lets you read the schema of a dataset, and use it as a schema source in a dynamic writer. You can find out more information on the Dynamic Workflows knowledgebase tutorial, or the FME Desktop documentation.

Another reason this would happen is if you picked a non-shapefile dataset as the source of a Shapefile reader. For example, set the format to Shapefile and pick an Excel spreadsheet as the source. The result will - unsurprisingly - be no reader and a lot of red error messages!

Myles' Answer: I added it as a resource reader (Correct)

6) So... the impossible question! Which of these numbers is the odd one out?

First things first: did you even figure out what the numbers refer to?

They are EPSG Numbers for coordinate systems! If you figured that out, then you probably would have looked them up and seen:

• Lambert-93 with RGF93 datum, whole country
  • Lisbon / Portuguese Grid New
  • Reykjavik 1900
  • Beijing 1954 / Gauss-Kruger zone 13
  • Bogota 1975

Spotted the odd one out yet? Four of the five have descriptions tied to cities (capital cities, in fact). The other doesn't. That one is EPSG:2154

So there you go! Did you get it right? Not many did.

Myles' Answer: 21413 (Incorrect)

Scores

Let's see the general quiz info and scores:

• Quiz Week: 20 (Mar 16/2020)
  • Number of Entries: 25
  • Best Score: 5
  • Worst Score: 0
  • Average Score: 3.08
  • Easiest Question: 1 (22)
  • Hardest Question: 6 (1)

So a low average, no-one got 6/6, and only one person got the impossible question correct. Only 4 people got the question about the most-attended tour stop right (bless you, to the person who thought it was Winnipeg)!

But Myles' score was low, so I don't think the result is in doubt...

• Beat Myles: 22
  • Equalled Myles: 2
  • Were Beaten by Myles: 1

A nice win folks. Never in doubt.

The overall score is now...

• Users 8 Safers 5

Five wins in a row for the users now. I'm wondering if the Safers will ever get another win again!

To finish up, here's a league table:

0684Q00000ArBFCQA3.png

And the league of Safers:

0684Q00000ArBNZQA3.png

Myles, you've made Paul very happy!

4 replies

Badge +12

I should've known that the answer to the impossible question couldn't be as easy as picking the only prime number (4657). :-/

Badge +2

BeerXML is a real thing :-)

Badge +2

My first Win!! :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Since the question was: Which of these numbers is the odd one out?

I picked the only one that did not include a 1 (4657).

Guess that was too easy.