Question

Write to AGOL

• 18 June 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I 've processed some data sets into one using FME 2018 and now I'm trying to write this data set to AGOL. On the AGOL account I don't have Content (Feature Service (Layers). When I insert a Writer (AGOL) I manage to 'Add a Web Connection'->Connection Name->Authenticate, which then opens a window to ArcGIS Online and I insert my credentials. Once this is complete, it takes me back to FME.

I can't finalize the Writer (See screenshot below) because I need to fill the Feature Service. When I select the Feature Service it just loads for a long long time not doing anything (see screenshot below). Am I supposed to create an empty feature service in AGOL first, then attempt the Feature Service connection (See screenshot below)?

I was under the impression once I finalize the Writer "If the Feature Service directive refers to a Feature Service that does not exist, and the writer mode for all feature types is INSERT, then the ArcGIS Online Feature Service Writer will create the Feature Service. "

2 replies

Badge +3

If you don't have any services nor have access to group content containing services, you'll have to create a service yourself. You can do that by just typing the name of the feature service you want to create.

Also you'll need to have a Creator account to be able to create a feature service. If you have any other type of account (i.e. Viewer, Editor or Field Worker) you won't be able to create a service.

Badge +1

If you don't have any services nor have access to group content containing services, you'll have to create a service yourself. You can do that by just typing the name of the feature service you want to create.

Also you'll need to have a Creator account to be able to create a feature service. If you have any other type of account (i.e. Viewer, Editor or Field Worker) you won't be able to create a service.

@lars_de_vries Thank you very much. After creating the Feature Layer service on AGOL, I went back to FME and had the same issue (Loading...) So what I did is to manually type the Feature Service name (rather than clicking on the dots ... explorer box) and it connected and I was able to finalize the Writer AGOL. Thanks again for your valuable input.