Solved

Reducing Resolution of 3D Models Textures

Hi, I am trying to reduce texture resolution on a .obj model. This is what i have currently:The output at AppearanceSetter does not have any textures applied to it. I have tried connected AppearanceStyler to AppearanceSetter directly and it also does not work. So I am assuming that perhaps the way that I am setting the appearance is wrong. Images attached below shows before and after

I have attached the .fme workspace.

The .obj can be found here: (due to size limit here)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cg6wNNzllzl0M7O6ifciswnPfC_0z57s/view?usp=sharing

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 14 May 2020, 23:42

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @weicong96,

The best way to do this is to make use of the way FME stores texture images in an internal library during the processing, applying them again when writing out the model.

• Extract the images from the library using the SharedItemRetreiver
  • Resample them with the RasterResampler
  • Check the resampled images back into the library with the ShareItemAdder, set to update

screen-shot-2020-05-14-at-23555-pm 

When FME write the model back out to any of the 3D formats it supports, it will use the resampled images in place of the originals.

ResampleTexture.fmw

Badge

Hi @weicong96,

The best way to do this is to make use of the way FME stores texture images in an internal library during the processing, applying them again when writing out the model.

• Extract the images from the library using the SharedItemRetreiver
  • Resample them with the RasterResampler
  • Check the resampled images back into the library with the ShareItemAdder, set to update

screen-shot-2020-05-14-at-23555-pm 

When FME write the model back out to any of the 3D formats it supports, it will use the resampled images in place of the originals.

ResampleTexture.fmw

Hi, thank you for your answer. I also come up with the same problem, yet I am in FBX format.

However, I am a little bit confused in part of the transformers and would like to have some clarification, if possible.

1. May I know the reason to have "_shared_item_id" in SharedItemRetriever transformer?
  2. What is interpolation type: "Bicubic" does in RasterResampler_2 transformer?
  3. What is the purpose to have featuremerger in this case? To merge all the images back to the mesh model? I saw that you have use "Process duplicate suppliers". Is there any reason behind this?

Thank you and hope I can have better understanding in this workbench.

Again, thank you for your help.