Question

Download from a Google Drive shareable link

• 14 November 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +8

Hello Forum,

I want to use a shareable link from my Google Drive, that I want to integrate into my Workbench, because I'm planning to share my FMW with other people. My link refers to a folder containing data.

I don't want to share with others my account connection informations though.

I'm looking at the GoogleDriveConnector and I don't see a way to download files from a shareable link.

Then I thought about the HTTPCaller, but I can't figure how neither.

Is it possible to do that? If not, what option do I have? AWS, Azure, Dropbox, I'll probably have the same issue?

Thanks!

5 replies

Badge +21

Hi!

You can click get shareable link and then replace the:

https://www.dropbox.com/xxxxx/myfile.png?dl=0

with

https://www.dropbox.com/xxxxx/myfile.png?dl=1

Then you can use a normal reader in FME - paste the url and it should work

Badge +2

Hi @philippeb,

As @sigtill has suggested, if you want to go the shareable link route, you will need to use Dropbox because Google Drive uses Object ID. Fortunately, you do not have to share your credentials for other users to download the same file as it can be found using the Object ID. The only requirement for this to work is that the user running the workspace has their own Google account that has been authenticated as a web connection in FME, and that the files have been been made accessible in the Share Settings.

For example, I have shared the following PNG image (object ID: 16vqrhPtSIQwB5ytut082W6XRqgBBjrf2) on my Google Drive - you should be able to run the workspace with your own credentials as the file is accessible by anyone on the internet (this should work with the other share settings as well).

If you need this workspace to be dynamic, you could use two GoogleDriveConnector's. The first one uses List Google Drive Action to obtain of all object ID's inside the shared folder and the second to download all of the files. I provided an example of this on this forum post if you are interested in seeing an example.

Hope that helps.

googledriveconnection.fmw

Badge +21

Sorry! I read Dropbox - not Google Earth - dont know why. Happily @chrisatsafe came to the rescue!

Badge +8

Hi @philippeb,

As @sigtill has suggested, if you want to go the shareable link route, you will need to use Dropbox because Google Drive uses Object ID. Fortunately, you do not have to share your credentials for other users to download the same file as it can be found using the Object ID. The only requirement for this to work is that the user running the workspace has their own Google account that has been authenticated as a web connection in FME, and that the files have been been made accessible in the Share Settings.

For example, I have shared the following PNG image (object ID: 16vqrhPtSIQwB5ytut082W6XRqgBBjrf2) on my Google Drive - you should be able to run the workspace with your own credentials as the file is accessible by anyone on the internet (this should work with the other share settings as well).

If you need this workspace to be dynamic, you could use two GoogleDriveConnector's. The first one uses List Google Drive Action to obtain of all object ID's inside the shared folder and the second to download all of the files. I provided an example of this on this forum post if you are interested in seeing an example.

Hope that helps.

googledriveconnection.fmw

Very nice to see that I can do that with GoogleDriveConnector! I don't want people loosing time with configurations so I'll use Dropbox. Thanks a lot!

Badge +8

Sorry! I read Dropbox - not Google Earth - dont know why. Happily @chrisatsafe came to the rescue!

No idea what you're talking about! LoL Thanks a lot for your other answer though :)