Question

Problem while using PathReader + WorkspaceRunner

Badge

Hey folks,

After some hours of Googling and of searches on this forum, I'm writing here to solve my problem.

I've built a huge FME Batch to do some stuff on IFC files with some Excel readers, ACAD readers, and CommandLine. But here isn't the problem, that Batch works properly when I run it 'alone'.

Here a quick overview of that Batch :

Everything is ok with that Batch, but then I would like to work with a PathReader and a WorkspaceRunner in order to work with all the IFC files of a folder.

So, I've set up that Batch which is really simple :

With these following parameters :

When I run the batch with a Pathreader and a Workspacerunner it seems to run properly too, but nothing happens then (i-e any files are created at the end of the Writers).

Does anyone already had those type of problems ? Do I need to set up something specific in the 'child' batch in order to run it with a folder reader ?

Thanks to everyone for your future answers,

Best.

Clem

10 replies

Badge

Thanks to the use of spies : an ExcelWriter in a fixed folder, the problem seems to come from the different ExcelReaders. But I still didn't find yet how to fix it.

Badge +16

Thanks to the use of spies : an ExcelWriter in a fixed folder, the problem seems to come from the different ExcelReaders. But I still didn't find yet how to fix it.

Could it be that not all the input Excel files have the required feature types ( ei. sheets)?

Badge

Could it be that not all the input Excel files have the required feature types ( ei. sheets)?

Normally each Excel file has only 1 sheet which a table to set some corresponding properties. I'm running out of ideas of what the source of the problem could be

Badge +16

Normally each Excel file has only 1 sheet which a table to set some corresponding properties. I'm running out of ideas of what the source of the problem could be

Would it be possible to share the logfile of the huge workspace?

Userlevel 4

The Excel readers can sometimes be a bit finicky, in particular regarding the "Feature types to read" attribute. This is a potential issue if you change the source file without updating the reader feature.

If your workspace might read different Excel files from different locations, my recommendation would be to use a dynamic Excel reader, that way it will always return the contents regardless of what the sheet name is.

Badge

The Excel readers can sometimes be a bit finicky, in particular regarding the "Feature types to read" attribute. This is a potential issue if you change the source file without updating the reader feature.

If your workspace might read different Excel files from different locations, my recommendation would be to use a dynamic Excel reader, that way it will always return the contents regardless of what the sheet name is.

Normally all the Excel files are in the same folder, they just contains different PSET. Each file has only one sheet.

How to set up a workspace runner with dynamic Excel readers ?

Thanks for your answer.

Badge

Would it be possible to share the logfile of the huge workspace?

It would be possible, but I don't know how to do it unfortunately.

Userlevel 4

Normally all the Excel files are in the same folder, they just contains different PSET. Each file has only one sheet.

How to set up a workspace runner with dynamic Excel readers ?

Thanks for your answer.

When creating the reader:

More info here: http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.1/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/!FeatureTypeProperties/Merging_Feature_Types.htm

Badge

Unfortunately I already use some single merged feature type.

That's really weird but I think that the problem is something very minor
Badge +16

It would be possible, but I don't know how to do it unfortunately.

You can upload the logfile in the forum (see the upload file button in the menu)