Solved

Aggregating 3D polygons based on a common ID, results in corrupted geometry.

• 16 February 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi

I have a 3D city model made out of individual polygons. Polygons forming one building have a common ID (also attr like Type: Wall, Roof). I need to combine/merge/aggregate together shapes beloning to each building. The output should be a shapefile or multipatch.

I tried using Aggregator in combination with Dissolver and Sorter but data looks fine only in FME viewer. I try to use it in ArcGIS Pro, CityEngine and also in Microstation but data is completely distorted.

When I load non-aggregated data in ArcGIS Pro it works fine. But the problem is it has to be combined before I can use it for my project.

Any idea what could be wrong or what other ways I could use?

This is my setup And this is the result when viewed in ArcGIS Pro

Here's sample data, maybe sth is wrong with this data?

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 16 February 2018, 19:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @stysiakaleksand,

To create good multi-patch data from your polygons, you must first convert the polygons into 3D faces within FME.

I am attaching a workspace that uses the Triangulator to simplify your polygons into triangles, then a FaceReplacer to convert the triangles into faces.

The results from this workspace display quite nicely in ArcGIS Pro.

polytoface.fmw

Badge

Hi @stysiakaleksand,

To create good multi-patch data from your polygons, you must first convert the polygons into 3D faces within FME.

I am attaching a workspace that uses the Triangulator to simplify your polygons into triangles, then a FaceReplacer to convert the triangles into faces.

The results from this workspace display quite nicely in ArcGIS Pro.

polytoface.fmw

Thanks a lot Dave, worked like a charm :) nice to learn this new skill.