Solved

A tool in FME to remove duplicates,

• 3 September 2014
  • 11 replies

Badge +5
A tool in FME to remove duplicates,

I couldn’t figure out which tool can remove duplicates. For example, in case we have two lines that are identical (one on top of another), then which tools can remove this duplicate?

For example, in the screenshot below we have 4 lines that are identical, then how to remove three of them and to leave one?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
icon

Best answer by redgeographics 9 November 2021, 08:45

View original

11 replies

Badge
The Matcher transformer would do this for you. If you take the output of the SingleMatched and NotMatched ports then you would - in effect - be dropping duplicates.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mark

Mark Ireland

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc
Badge +5
Many thanks Mark for the help,

It appears that the “matcher” couldn’t catch the duplicates. It keeps the original number as is despite the fact that there are a plenty of duplicates.

What might be the issue here?

The dwg file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xhrc6kchbacx0s0/Parcels.dwg
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Jamal,

Have a look at the "Lenient Geometry Matching" parameter in the Matcher.

Takashi
Badge +5
Thanks Takashi,

I couldn’t figure out precisely how the matcher works and how does it remove the duplicates.

1. I wanted to remove the duplicates

2. And then to convert lines to polygons.

This doesn’t appear to work with the “matcher” and “GeometryCoercer”.

The polygons fail to be written in the polygon feature class?

What might be the issue here?
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
The Matcher seems to work properly. The problem is on the GeometryCoercer, it will not transform lines into polygons. Consider using the AreaBuilder instead.
Badge +5
Many thanks Mark and Takashi for the help,

It appears to work fine now as I have adjusted the workbench based on your valuable comments.

Badge
The Matcher transformer would do this for you. If you take the output of the SingleMatched and NotMatched ports then you would - in effect - be dropping duplicates.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mark

Mark Ireland

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc
It would be nice if the transformer had a port for "matched except one" so you can remove all but one duplicate record easily. Currently, if I understand the transformer, you have to delete the Matched and then add back in the SingleMatched. Matched=SingleMatched+MISSING port.

Badge +5

Not sure which tool can remove the duplicates shown in the screenshot below

Line#3 and line #4 are duplicated in the marked part

Clip_90 

Clip_89 

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Clip_90 

Clip_89 

If they match exactly I'd try the Intersector or LineOnLineOverlayer. Both have the option to generate a list with the attributes of the original overlapping features so you can work with those.

So basically, in your screenshot, you can remove the Chopper and Matcher and it should work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Clip_90 

Clip_89 

Hello @jamal​ , this article has a few alernative approaches, it may be worth taking a peek! Data QA: Identifying Duplicate Features with FME.

Badge +5

Right. Intersector or LineOnLineOverlay can remove the duplicates as per the screenshot below. The duplicate segment gets in a separate object. All can be joined with linecombiner tool

Clip_1140 

Clip_1141