Question

Sort polygon features by location [NW-ES] and/or spatial relationship with same featureType

• 18 January 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

Backgroud: I created a workspace that uses ArcMap's "strip map" tool for data driven pages--the tool creates fixed-sized polygons along a line feature to be used as an index layer to produce multiple output pages [PDF]. I found the tool to be extremely helpful for creating the polygon, but had its flaws when attributing fields.

METHOD UsE BEFORE FME PROCESSING:

1) in arcmap, select by attribute for targeted section on line feature.

1.2) run strip map index feature and save output to GDB.

2) both line feature and strip map output are moved to FME workspace to further attribute, but also to push pythonscript, .mxd documents, and output folder to share drive.

QUESTION: Is there a transformer(s) that could sort features by its physical location and relative location to other features?

Each polygon can be thought as a window to print individual pdf documents. Each feature has four attribute fields for PDF's match-line (top,bottom,left,right) used to inform client which sheet 'goes where'. Its troublesome for the client when ArcMap processes a lengthy line segment and begins to number each sheet with page numbers that are fairly random, with respect to its bordering feature and its geographic location.

This is my first question and happy to add any additional information that is needed to help my speedbump.

QUESTION: Is there a transformer(s) that could sort features by its physical location and relative location to other features?

1 reply

Badge +3

@lynch3ar

Yes you can do that.

There is a little piece of math to do that. You can find it on the forum.

For instance here

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/20421/is-it-possible-to-sort-based-on-geography.html