Question

Translation very slow if Coordinate system is added to writer parameters

• 27 September 2017
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge

Hello, me again, I am doing my first fme steps and need to ask so much...

I have this workspace (PATH > AttrbuteFilter > FeatureReader > Tif writer):

1. I runs nicely, but if I add a coordinate system to the writer in the navigator, the translation takes 10 times longer.

2. Why is there no Coordinate System to be set in the FeatureReader? If I add a normal reader, it can/has to be set!?

3. Why can a Coordinate System be set in the navigator in the Directory and File pathnames reader? I thought it only reads pathnames and not the data itself which would have a Coordinate System....

thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 4

1) If you look carefully in the FME log, I suspect you'll see that there's some implicit reprojection going on when you specify a coordinate system on the writer. This happens when the specified output coordinate system doesn't match the coordinate system of the incoming features. As you've discovered, this can have a huge impact on performances.

2) It's indeed possible to set the coordinate system on the FeatureReader:

3) I suspect that's because all readers and writers inherit some basic parameters from a parent definition somewhere. You can safely ignore it.

Badge

1) If you look carefully in the FME log, I suspect you'll see that there's some implicit reprojection going on when you specify a coordinate system on the writer. This happens when the specified output coordinate system doesn't match the coordinate system of the incoming features. As you've discovered, this can have a huge impact on performances.

2) It's indeed possible to set the coordinate system on the FeatureReader:

3) I suspect that's because all readers and writers inherit some basic parameters from a parent definition somewhere. You can safely ignore it.

Oh god, would help if I weren't blind.... @david_r: Sorry and thanks!
Userlevel 4
Oh god, would help if I weren't blind.... @david_r: Sorry and thanks!
Haha, no problem, happens to all of us from time to time!