Question

Dynamic writer for file geodatabase on multi feature type source

• 21 April 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +10

I have a workspace that I'd like to dynamically write different output formats to: shp, sqlite, fgdb, and AGOL. I have no problems doing it for shp and sqlite but when it comes to fgdb I’m having an issue.

One of my data sources - features - has multiple destination feature classes by featureClasssName attribute. The attribute schema for all features are the same but their fme_geometry are different.

That is where my problem lies with the file geodatabase api writer.

If I make it dynamic, the feature type name parameter changes to default fme_feature_type. If I uncheck the box for dynamic, I can use the featureClassName attribute as feature types parameter but there is no dynamic geometry parameter.

Most of the samples of using feature type schema mapper samples I’ve found show single geometry. I’ve attached my workspace template here in case someone wants to take a stab at it. Screenshot of wokspace is below.

Any suggestions or links to community page are appreciated. Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 4

If you check the "Dynamic schema definition" check box, then you should select "From schema definition" in the geometry type:

Personally, I prefer to use a schema feature rather than the reader schemas, you can use the SchemaSetter from the FME Hub for this. This makes it easier to use something else than the fme_feature_type parameter for the feature class name.

Badge +10

If you check the "Dynamic schema definition" check box, then you should select "From schema definition" in the geometry type:

Personally, I prefer to use a schema feature rather than the reader schemas, you can use the SchemaSetter from the FME Hub for this. This makes it easier to use something else than the fme_feature_type parameter for the feature class name.

I did that already and the Feature Class Name or Type defaults to fme_feature_type. I can change it to feature class name but during run time FME defaults to fme_feature_type. I'll see if I can make SchemaSetter work. Thanks!

Badge +10

Worked without much effort. SchemaSetter should be in the gallery.

Userlevel 4

Worked without much effort. SchemaSetter should be in the gallery.

I agree, it's very useful.

Consider also voting for this idea: https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/19730/introduce-new-transformer-to-modify-schema-easily.html