Question

wind direction route

• 22 March 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello,

As a hobby i'm a cyclist and i was wondering how to set up a workspace which can calculate how much percent of the time the wind is in favor of the cyclist.

If the wind is blowing from the north west (arrow) i would like to know how much percent of the time i have the wind in my back en i have the wind against me. What would be the transformer to get the wind direction into my route data?

5 replies

Badge +3

In your pic you have one windirection arrow.If you want to add it to the route, you can just unconditionally merge it.

Unconditional FetureMerging is when you have mergkeys both are constant and equal.

Mostly is use 1=1.

Now you can use an expression tot calculate direction difference between the cyclist and the wind.

Azimuth calculator on all lines (route chopped to 2vertice pieces) and

You probably know better which range of difference would be in favour or not. Difference of 90-270 degree is not favourable I presume.

If you have more wind directions on route you need to merge them by zoning/segmenting the route and create groups prior to merging (so you can merge by group).

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

On a side note, there is an API available from one of the major Dutch weather data providers (Weerslag), I don't know how public it is but could find out for you. I'm pretty sure it can give you wind direction in multiple locations (and times!) along your route so you can process that as @gio suggests.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Just for a little bit of python practice on a Friday night, a wind angle of 135 is blowing from the north west, 180 from the north etc. Anything in the same direction, plus or minus 90 is favourable

wind.fmw

Just for a little bit of python practice on a Friday night, a wind angle of 135 is blowing from the north west, 180 from the north etc. Anything in the same direction, plus or minus 90 is favourable

wind.fmw

Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Thanks a lot!

And if you don't want to use python

wind_2.fmw