Question

Transformer that removes spaces between polygons

• 11 April 2019
  • 7 replies

I am working on a project were I'm dividing a list of addresses into 18 zones. It is very similar to the Garbage zones exercise in the FME Basic course and I have used part of that work space to create the work space I'm using for this project.

Its point data to polygon data, but the issues is at the end of my work space, the final result has a ton of large gaps between the polygons, and I'm not sure how to fix that.

Is there a way to snap the edges of the polygons to another data set of lines, like a road layer?

I should specify I have tried to use the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner, as well as the combination used in the FME Basic Training of AreaOnAreaOverlayer to PointOnAreaOverlayer to ListHistogramer to Dissolver.

It may be that the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner does not have the correct parameters set, and that is why its not working

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Have you tried the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner?

Have you tried the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner?

Oh yes, sorry I should specify I have tried to use the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner, as well as the combination used in the FME Basic Training of AreaOnAreaOverlayer to PointOnAreaOverlayer to ListHistogramer to Dissolver. It may be that the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner does not have the correct parameters set, and that is why its not working

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Oh yes, sorry I should specify I have tried to use the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner, as well as the combination used in the FME Basic Training of AreaOnAreaOverlayer to PointOnAreaOverlayer to ListHistogramer to Dissolver. It may be that the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner does not have the correct parameters set, and that is why its not working

If you are able to share your data, then if you save your workspace as a template file and share that someone might be able to take a closer look.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @aparra1,

You can adjust the Tolerance to fill the gaps, or you can set the Advanced Parameter Fill All Gaps to Yes.

Alternatively, you may want to explore using a VoronoiDiagrammer transformer for converting your point data to polygons.

An alernative could be to use VoronoiDiagrammer on your point features directly, then Dissolve the polygons with your Zone field, and finally clip the resulting polygons with a ConvexHull or an existing polygon of your city limits / area of interest. This should create a topologically correct set of zone polygons.

An alernative could be to use VoronoiDiagrammer on your point features directly, then Dissolve the polygons with your Zone field, and finally clip the resulting polygons with a ConvexHull or an existing polygon of your city limits / area of interest. This should create a topologically correct set of zone polygons.

Okay i tried to do this and it transformed all my points (sort of) into one large polygon. There are many breaks in the sides. does this need to be used in conjunction with my original work space to make it divide into 18 groups? or do I need to change some parameters?

Okay i tried to do this and it transformed all my points (sort of) into one large polygon. There are many breaks in the sides. does this need to be used in conjunction with my original work space to make it divide into 18 groups? or do I need to change some parameters?

Try creating a new workspace, and connect your input point layer directly in the Points port of a VoronoiDiagrammer, connect your input area of interest polygon in the minimum extent port, then Dissolve by Zone field and clip by connecting your input area of interest polygon into the Clipper port and Dissolved area in the Clippee. Does it work?