Question

A generic tool/ workbench to convert multiple mdf files to gdb in ArcMap

• 11 April 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge

To enjoy multiusers editing environment, our data is stored in mdf files (enterprise). However, when it comes to publishing, we convert the mdf to gdb in order to gain some performance as the services that read from gdb are much faster than those read from mdf. We are wondering if there is a generic tool that can convert multiple mdf files to gdb.

Thank you

Best

Rawan

9 replies

Userlevel 4

If the .mdf files are MS SQL Server primary data files, you can use FME to read the database tables directly from SQL Server and write them to gdb, this is usually fairly easy. You should not be reading the mdf files directly.

Badge

Thank you David for your answer, I tried this solution but I faced another issue that the structure of my new file geodata base doesn’t look like the structure of mdf one.

Maybe I do something wrong, but my work bench contains a reader read from mdf & writer write into file geodatabase.

What do you think?

Best,

Rawan

Badge

Hi David,

I have an SQL data base “B” having 4 feature class, I tried to develop a workbench to transfer the mdf to file geodatabase . it’s transform the feature class from mdf to file gdb but the plygon feature class converted to points feature class .See below

What might be the issue here, what I’m missing in my workbench?

Best,

Rawan

Badge

Hi Again,

I’v appended the work bench if you can have a look on it.

Best,

Rawan

mdftogdb.fmw

Userlevel 4

Try changing the geometry types accordingly in the output feature types:

Badge

Dear David ,

Thank you, it’s working fine.

One more thing Is there any way to let the reader take the mdf data base contain without manual select for feature class?

Best,

Rawan

Userlevel 4

Try using a dynamic schema rather than a static one when generating the workspace:

You can read more about it here:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1157/dynamic-workflow-tutorial-destination-schema-as-a.html

Badge

Dear David ,

Thank you, the link that you provided is very helpful

But I noticed that the workbench doesn’t transform all records in one of my feature class see below

Best,

Rawan

Userlevel 4

Hard to say why. Have a look in the FME log to see if there are any warnings or errors.