Question

CRS not defined for ECW created in FME

The .ecw file created through FME, QGIS cannot identify its CRS correctly. I tried with both ecw v2 and v3. This can be fixed through ECW header edit. It might be a bug when trying to write GDA2020 datum to ecw file.

22 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @brandonguo,

In its original form, the ECW format allows only a limited number of coordinate systems and datums, using their own codes for these. This has been extended by many producers (including FME), by using the appropriate EPSG codes for a name.

For the 2020 version, FME also uses the EPSG code for the datums not natively supported by ECW, instead of the previously used value of RAW. We have seen cases where this seems to confuse QGIS, which seems to use this EPSG code for the coordinate system instead of the datum.

Would you be able to provide more information on the issue you are seeing with the GDA2020 datum? It would help us in crafting a solution to the problem faced by QGIS users.

Hi @brandonguo,

In its original form, the ECW format allows only a limited number of coordinate systems and datums, using their own codes for these. This has been extended by many producers (including FME), by using the appropriate EPSG codes for a name.

For the 2020 version, FME also uses the EPSG code for the datums not natively supported by ECW, instead of the previously used value of RAW. We have seen cases where this seems to confuse QGIS, which seems to use this EPSG code for the coordinate system instead of the datum.

Would you be able to provide more information on the issue you are seeing with the GDA2020 datum? It would help us in crafting a solution to the problem faced by QGIS users.

Thanks @daveatsafe

A screenshot of ecw created by FME open in the ECW header editor.

After change the projection information as below, the file can be identified by QGIS:

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Thanks @daveatsafe

After change the projection information as below, the file can be identified by QGIS:

Hi @brandonguo,

I would recommend setting the Datum to RAW rather than EPSG:7855. This is the EPSG code for the GDA2020/Zone5 projection, rather than the datum.

Hi @brandonguo,

I would recommend setting the Datum to RAW rather than EPSG:7855. This is the EPSG code for the GDA2020/Zone5 projection, rather than the datum.

Thanks for pointing out this. That's better.

Thanks @daveatsafe

@brandonguo​ with the issue you encounter above was the solution in FME by changing the datum to "RAW" as @daveatsafe​ mentioned? (If so can you expand on how that is done). Or was the fix in manually editing the ECW header to appear as you have it above? In experiencing the same issue as in your initial post and screenshot for the same GDA2020 scenario.

Thanks @daveatsafe

It was fixed manually in ECW header editor. @andrewjeffrey​ 

Hi @brandonguo​ , @andrewjeffrey​ , and @daveatsafe​ thanks very much for posts and discussion here. I had encountered this also, and only just came across your posts and solutions. I was just wondering @daveatsafe​ , is there anything that is preventing FME being able to correctly write the EPSG code to the ECW header? It seems a bit clunky to need to edit the ECW file header in an external editor once FME has successfully written the ECW file.

Thanks very much

Hi @daveatsafe​ , sorry just saw your request above for more info. Not sure if this helps, but please see below the report that that the GDALINFO utility provides on this ECW, which I wrote using FME to EPSG 7855. The relevant error seems to be ECW_GDALINFO_reportERROR 1: proj etc on the first line.

Happy to provide any other data that will help

Thanks

Jamie

Hi @brandonguo​ , @andrewjeffrey​ , and @daveatsafe​ thanks very much for posts and discussion here. I had encountered this also, and only just came across your posts and solutions. I was just wondering @daveatsafe​ , is there anything that is preventing FME being able to correctly write the EPSG code to the ECW header? It seems a bit clunky to need to edit the ECW file header in an external editor once FME has successfully written the ECW file.

Thanks very much

I agree.

Hi @brandonguo,

I have the same problem. ECW tiles and mosaics I've created with FME 2022.0.0.2 (20220518 - Build 22343 - WIN64) result in:

• Undefined spatial reference within ArcMap 10.3.1
  • Unknown CRS within QGIS 3.22.7
  • "EPSG:6140 NUTM13" within AutoCAD Map 3D 2021

I've tried replacing coordinate system parameter in FME feature reader from 'CSRS.UTM-13N' (read from source) to 'EPSG:2957', with the same result and an additional FME warning message: "NOT changing coordinate system of reader identified by keyword `R_2' from `EPSG:2957' to `CSRS.UTM-13N' -- mapping file setting of `EPSG:2957' overrides coordinate system `CSRS.UTM-13N' read from file"

Several web searches indicate that it may be necessary to use the "ECW header editor" to fix ECW's created by FME. Does"https://download.hexagongeospatial.com/downloads/ecw/geocompressor-2022-update-1-windows" include this "ECW header editor" and is it free?

Where is the list of coordinate systems and datums supported within the ECW format?

I have the same problem. ECW tiles and mosaics I've created with FME 2022.0.0.2 (20220518 - Build 22343 - WIN64) result in:

I've tried replacing coordinate system parameter in FME feature reader from 'CSRS.UTM-13N' (read from source) to 'EPSG:2957', with the same result and an additional FME warning message: "NOT changing coordinate system of reader identified by keyword `R_2' from `EPSG:2957' to `CSRS.UTM-13N' -- mapping file setting of `EPSG:2957' overrides coordinate system `CSRS.UTM-13N' read from file"

Several web searches indicate that it may be necessary to use the "ECW header editor" to fix ECW's created by FME. Does"https://download.hexagongeospatial.com/downloads/ecw/geocompressor-2022-update-1-windows" include this "ECW header editor" and is it free?

Where is the list of coordinate systems and datums supported within the ECW format?

Yes, the header editor is free.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @pascal_cyr​,

Please try using the latest FME 2022.1 beta version, which can be downloaded from safe.com/beta. We have updated the coordinate system handling for ECW v3 files to be better compatible with QGIS and ArcGIS.

Result with FME 2022.1 beta version:

• ECW writer: An invalid parameter was used : datum and projection setting are invalid.
  • ECW writer: Failed to write dataset '(...).ecw'. This may occur if you have insufficient privileges to write this file, or if insufficient disk space is available
  • ECW writer: An error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Please try setting the output ECW feature type parameter Use EPSG Code for Projection to Always.

How? Please provide a documented example and/or the relevant help page(s).

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Right-click on the output ECW feature type and choose Properties:Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 3.05.03 PMIn the dialog that opens, set Use EPSG Code for Projection to Always:

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 3.05.44 PM 

Upgrading to the FME 2022.1 beta version failed to add that option to the pre-existing ECW writer dialogs. After checking FME terminology, I added a new "ER Mapper ECW" Writer to the existing workspace. Here are the results with the new writer set to ECW v3 and "Always":

• ECW Header Editor (v16.7.0.1963)
    • Fails to use correct/modern terminology.
    • It is unusual to display the datum before the projection.
    • Datum incorrectly set to the coordinate system EPSG code.
    • "Projection" adequately set to coordinate system EPSG code.
  • Good "Spatial Reference" within ArcMap 10.3.1
  • Good "Coordinate Reference System (CRS)" name within QGIS 3.22.7
  • <unknown> "Coordinate System" within AutoCAD Map 3D 2021

Badge +10

Regarding ECW v2 (version 2) files, how is the coordinate system handling? Especially for GDA2020 MGA56?

Badge +10

I agree.

It would be great if the ECW writer parameters allowed us to explicitly specify the values for datum & projection

Has this beta fix for setting the output ECW feature type parameter "Use EPSG Code for Projection to Always" been including in the latest official release of FME?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @pascal_cyr​, yes I believe this parameter has been added to the ECW Writer. I'm using FME 2022.2 build 22765 right now. You can find the latest official build on our Downloads Page. Happy to help, Kailin.

1. Open the Workspace in FME Workbench. Open the Example Template workspace in FME Workbench. ...
  2. Create the Published Parameter. Right click on User Parameters in the Navigator and select Create User Parameter… ...
  3. Test the User Parameter. ...
  4. Set Workspace to Run with Prompt.
  5. Plz upvote