Solved

trouble writing 3d extruded building to DXF

Badge +1

Hi

I want to write a 3D layer to DXF. The layer is extruded buildings from a 2D building layer, using an Extruder. When I write the output to DXF, it appears as a 3D object, but with triangles - screenshot attached.

Looking at the fme attributes, fme_type is fme_surface rather than solid, and fme_type is fme_aggregate. My understanding from reading some other posts is that I need the features to be solids not surfaces. Using the Geometry Coercer has no impact, it does not change it to a solid. And according to the help for the GeoemtryCoercer this is likely correct ("If you try to set the feature's geometry to fme_brep_solid and the geometry of the feature is not a composite surface or multi-surface or extrusion or box or csg solid, then the feature's geometry will be unchanged.").

Any ideas on how I set the feature to a solid? or what I need to set any autocad settings to - another post mentioned setting autocad_solid3d, but didn't give a value to set it to.

Thanks for any help

Mary

icon

Best answer by takashi 17 July 2017, 17:11

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @1spatialmary, in my quick test, I was able to write an extrusion solid as a solid geometry with the AutoCAD RealDWG DWG/DXF [REALDWG] writer. Looks like the AutoCAD DWG/DSV [ACAD] writer won't write solids. Which writer are you using?

Badge +1

Thanks @takashi. I have been using the ACAD writer, didn't think of the REALDWG writer.

I've just tried that and successfully written some 3D solids.

Thanks for your help

Mary

Badge +1

Thanks @takashi. I have been using the ACAD writer, didn't think of the REALDWG writer.

I've just tried that and successfully written some 3D solids.

Thanks for your help

Mary

And I've managed to write in the answer box, not the comment box - d'oh / apologies