Question

FTP Caller causes URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL

• 15 September 2016
  • 5 replies

FTP Caller causes URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL. I am trying to upload a file to my ftp server but keep getting this error. Attached are the screen shots of my configurations. I have tried various different possibilities but no luck. I have no trouble uploading file to my ftp server through command line. Here is the

Variations I have tried (It can connect but says the url is bad! Because if i put bad username password etc I just get can't connect or get bad domain name error):

ftp://dev-gismap02.flysfo.com/

ftp://dev-gismap02.flysfo.com/home/abhandari/

ftp://dev-gismap02.flysfo.com

ftp://dev-gismap02.flysfo.com/home/abhandari

ftp://x.x.x.x/

ftp://x.x.x.x/home/abhandari/

5 replies

Userlevel 4

You have to put the complete filename in the URL, e.g.

ftp://dev-gismap02.flysfo.com/home/abhandari/testing.kmz

OK When I tried that, I get 

2016-09-16 14:16:16|   0.2|  0.0|ERROR |HTTP/FTP transfer error: 'Couldn't connect to server'

Cannnot connect. I can connect fine via my shell for mac. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

The full filename is definitely the way to go (I see other confirmation of that).

So if you are still having problems...

1) Try turning on Debug logging (Tools > FME Options > Translation > Log Debug) and see if that reveals any more information in the log window

2) Try writing to a site that I know works. Copy a small test file to ftp.safe.com/incoming/filename.kmz - no username or password required. I just did that and you can see that there is imarktest.kmz there. So I know it works for me. Let's see if it works for you. It will at least narrow down where the problem lies.

The full filename is definitely the way to go (I see other confirmation of that).

So if you are still having problems...

1) Try turning on Debug logging (Tools > FME Options > Translation > Log Debug) and see if that reveals any more information in the log window

2) Try writing to a site that I know works. Copy a small test file to ftp.safe.com/incoming/filename.kmz - no username or password required. I just did that and you can see that there is imarktest.kmz there. So I know it works for me. Let's see if it works for you. It will at least narrow down where the problem lies.

That worked for me.. I am not sure why its not working for my machine then. I can transfer file through my command line shell. I also made sure the username password is correct. I am using vsftd in redhat. Could it be having to put username and password?

This is the output for log file. ftp.txt (Is this the one you are looking for?)
The full filename is definitely the way to go (I see other confirmation of that).

So if you are still having problems...

1) Try turning on Debug logging (Tools > FME Options > Translation > Log Debug) and see if that reveals any more information in the log window

2) Try writing to a site that I know works. Copy a small test file to ftp.safe.com/incoming/filename.kmz - no username or password required. I just did that and you can see that there is imarktest.kmz there. So I know it works for me. Let's see if it works for you. It will at least narrow down where the problem lies.

Also configured anon login. Even that doesn't work. When I put the wrong dir I get access denied, which is good. But when i put the right dir, I get Can't Connect.