Question

Where to store root certificate for SSL enable Postgres/Postgis database (to enable/verify SSL for Database connections)

• 10 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +8

With FME Desktop 2019 and newer, Postgres and Postgis support SSL, this mode has different options as shown below in the screenshot.

By default: Value is set to Disable

For Verify-CA and Verify-Full, options the root certificate needs to be stored when connecting to RDS instances.

2 replies

Badge +8

For FME Desktop 

The certificate required to be stored at 

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\postgresql\root.cer

For FME Server 

Engine with LocalService Account 

C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming/postgresql/root.crt 

Engine with Interactive Account 

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\postgresql\root.cer 

How to generate the certificate for Amazon RDS Postgres instances 

On Window 10 using Powershell

wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/rds-downloads/rds-combined-ca-bundle.pem -O C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\postgresql\root.cer

Badge +11

For clarity, the above information is for a connection where FME is using SSL to connect to the database and provides a root.cer for the database server in the connection to establish SSL. It doesn't use the public/private key pair.

For anyone working with FME and Postgres Database where the database is set to "only allow SSL connections", or two-way... you'll find that the Postgres Formats won't work because there appears to be no way to provide the client-cert or client-key. (ISSUE filed to investigate this)

I explored this on both Windows and macOS. Same outcome, and no joy. Please let us know if this is something you'd like to see supported.

However, a workaround would be to use the JDBC Format where you can use additional connection parameters to pass to the database when making the connection. See the screengrab for the connection parameters you'll need to add to the JDBC Database Connection.

JDBC Database Connection Example for Postgres 

If you have other information related to x509, two-way connections with Postgres from FME please do share. I'll profess I'm no expert in this. Maybe one of the FME Scholars has found a way to get x509 required connections working with the Postgres Reader/Writers... Would love to hear.