Solved

Removing unnecessary vertices from POLYGONS

• 3 August 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge

I have a complex geometry which contains one vertex that I want to remove.

The 'offending' vertex is in the first element, the PolylineGeometry(35):

The vertext I want to remove:

I tried using something like @takashi suggested in my previous post, but obviously the arcs were lost.

I would like to ONLY remove that one point (and similarly in other complex polygons) and have the rest of the geometry unchanged. I'm an FME neophyte, so is there a way to do that?

Thanks for any help!

icon

Best answer by owen 3 August 2018, 17:11

View original

9 replies

Badge +1

Hello. You can do this with the VertexRemover, specifying the index value which you can find in the inspector. You will probably have to deaggregate the feature to find the part in question first. Or if the issue is a geometry error, you could try the GeometryValidator or SpikeRemover as an alternative.

Owen

Badge

@owen, I don't see VertexRemover in 2017.1

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

It was renamed in 2018, you should have CoordinateRemover to do the same thing
Badge

Ah, thanks!

Badge

Is there a way to automate this vertex removal? I tried deaggregating the geometry and seeing how I could pass a vertex ID in, but I'm not having much luck. The deaggregator doesn't seem to do anything, no matter what settings I use. Thanks!

Badge +2
Is there a way to automate this vertex removal? I tried deaggregating the geometry and seeing how I could pass a vertex ID in, but I'm not having much luck. The deaggregator doesn't seem to do anything, no matter what settings I use. Thanks!

Hi @brucearmstrong, It is unusual that the Deaggregator doesn't do anything, when the input is a composite geometry. I think it might help the community better understand what is happening, if you could share this geometry in question. You can do so, by selecting this feature in Data Inspector, and use File>Save Selected Date As... to create a .ffs file with just this one feature.

Badge
Hi @brucearmstrong, It is unusual that the Deaggregator doesn't do anything, when the input is a composite geometry. I think it might help the community better understand what is happening, if you could share this geometry in question. You can do so, by selecting this feature in Data Inspector, and use File>Save Selected Date As... to create a .ffs file with just this one feature.

Here's the zipped FFS file.

my-geom.zip

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Your geometry is not multi-part so the deaggregator won't do anything. I think you'll need to split the polygon down into arcs and polylines using a GeometryPartExtractor, remove the coordinate from the polyline, rebuild the geometry with a pathbuilder and coerce it back to an area.

remove-coordinate-pair.fmwt

Badge

Your geometry is not multi-part so the deaggregator won't do anything. I think you'll need to split the polygon down into arcs and polylines using a GeometryPartExtractor, remove the coordinate from the polyline, rebuild the geometry with a pathbuilder and coerce it back to an area.

remove-coordinate-pair.fmwt

Alrighty then. I'll see if I can figure that out :D Thanks!