Solved

3D distance between points and polygon

• 19 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I would like to create the Dist CLoud/Mesh tool of CloudCompare.

I have 2 input files. One is individual points (PointCloudCoercer : Individual Points) from the class Building of a Lidar point Cloud and second is polygons representing roofs in SHAPEFILE. I wanted to measure the (vertical) distance from each point to the nearest polygon.

I firstly used the SurfaceDraper to drape the points into the roof, then measure the distance between the draped point and the original points, but it didn't work as you can see below.

Do you have a solution to my issue ?

Thank you in advance,

Victor

Point cloud :

You can find the Shapefile polygon via this link: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/291f3edefb457b27a0f286ca68e3420120200624124047/919a8805a20a2c4b08eee3a830f2776e20200624124104/84c603

icon

Best answer by jlbaker2779 22 June 2020, 13:19

View original

6 replies

Badge +11

Hi @v.martin_96

have you tried to turn point cloud and roof shapes into separate surface rasters, and subtract them to see the difference figures? Both data sets can be turned into rasters by help of SurfaceModeller.

Badge +2

You could try to use a PointCloudCoercer to create individual points, (I created an arbitrary surface with a bounding box and gave it a Z), extract the coordinates, overlay, and then use an ExpressionEvaluator to get the difference. After that is complete, you can turn it back into a point cloud with a combiner.

Attached .fmw

I ran through 10 million points in 5 minutes, but my laptop is pretty old so it should be fairly quick on beefier machine.

You could try to use a PointCloudCoercer to create individual points, (I created an arbitrary surface with a bounding box and gave it a Z), extract the coordinates, overlay, and then use an ExpressionEvaluator to get the difference. After that is complete, you can turn it back into a point cloud with a combiner.

Attached .fmw

I ran through 10 million points in 5 minutes, but my laptop is pretty old so it should be fairly quick on beefier machine.

Thank you for your comment ! Indeed, it works for flat roofs. But I'd like to create a script that can do it for roofs that don't have the same Z value on their whole surface like the picture below.

Thank you in advance !

Badge +2

Thank you for your comment ! Indeed, it works for flat roofs. But I'd like to create a script that can do it for roofs that don't have the same Z value on their whole surface like the picture below.

Thank you in advance !

Adding a chopper to the 3D roof with a .1 unit chop produces a grid to overlay the points on to inherit the z values. I'm assuming you are looking to filter out the data that isn't near the roof. See example shots below with the error removed. There is one point that for some reason or another decided it wanted to be a part of the roof.

Attached .fmwt with all data included.

(deleting comment below requesting data)

Representation as is

Representation chopped and filtered

Adding a chopper to the 3D roof with a .1 unit chop produces a grid to overlay the points on to inherit the z values. I'm assuming you are looking to filter out the data that isn't near the roof. See example shots below with the error removed. There is one point that for some reason or another decided it wanted to be a part of the roof.

Attached .fmwt with all data included.

(deleting comment below requesting data)

Representation as is

Representation chopped and filtered

It work ! Thank you very much for your help !

Badge +2

It work ! Thank you very much for your help !

Awesome! Most welcome! Please mark the question as answered.