Question

Creating roofs on 3D buildings with known roof type/angle

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I see similar questions on here, but nothing quite the scenario I have, so I will throw out this as both a question and a sort of challenge to the community.

In a recent blog I created 3D buildings by extruding them to a known height. But that leaves a flat roof. In reality many roofs are sloped and the data (from the City of Vancouver) includes that information:

So, given roof slope, roof type, and roof orientation, what's the best way to cut away the extruded building to create the proper shape of roof?

I was thinking to create the roof as an angled surface, extrude to a block, then use the CSGBuilder to cut that part away from the building. But I ended up with about 15 transformers just to get a flat shape at the right orientation! I'm sure there must be a better way.

Suggestions welcome, or if you want to have a try, here's the source data.

13 replies

Badge +2

Hi Mark, I believe this is a very difficult task when it comes to complex roofs. I suggest to do that manually using SketchUp or some tools of the sort.

If the building is square, you will have tough time guessing in which direction is the slope too.

Cheers.

Lyes

Badge +3

Should those 3 values not suffice to create a sloped and oriented surface?

Create flat roof, pitch, rotate and move (maybe mirror)?

Sounds like just Creator and 2 3dRotators and 2or 3Daffiners. For a simple pitch roof.

Badge +22

The following paper may be of interest:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/17ca/ae184a7ee6965dd067a1368f6de31fe77de8.pdf

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
I'm unclear what roof shape(s) are required. Could you please select images from this page (or other one) for each roof type - Flat, Pitched and Complex?

Illustrations of common and simple roof shapes -- List of roof shapes, Wikipedia

Badge +22
I'm unclear what roof shape(s) are required. Could you please select images from this page (or other one) for each roof type - Flat, Pitched and Complex?

Illustrations of common and simple roof shapes -- List of roof shapes, Wikipedia

I believe the Pitched roof type corresponds to a Gabled roof, whereas the Complex is a hip roof.

There are outliers in both, but overall that seems to match the satellite imagery for the standard houses. (Some of the complex roofs are mansoned).

Badge +3

@Mark2AtSafe

For a simple symmetrical pitched roof (gabled in the WIKI page @takashi posted)

pitched-roof-cleaned.fmw

Badge +3

@Mark2AtSafe

For a simple symmetrical pitched roof (gabled in the WIKI page @takashi posted)

pitched-roof-cleaned.fmw

upload might be blocked, here is a pic.

Height and orientation seem simple to apply here.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

my solution: realdwg2none.fmw (FME 2018.1.0.0)

Assuming that "Pitched" is Gable roof, and "Complex" is Hip roof.

cf. Illustrations of common and simple roof shapes, List of roof shapes -- Wikipedia

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

OK. I posted a solution.

Badge +22

my solution: realdwg2none.fmw (FME 2018.1.0.0)

Assuming that "Pitched" is Gable roof, and "Complex" is Hip roof.

cf. Illustrations of common and simple roof shapes, List of roof shapes -- Wikipedia

Very elegant. One issue though is that it doesn't capture cross gabled roofs.

The model on the left comes from your workspace (footprint id 260), the model on the right is what I believe the house actually is.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
Thanks for your answers, suggestions, and solutions everyone. I'm going to take a look and incorporate them into my project (creating some 3D data for FME training). In the meantime, I'm handing out reputation points to you all for your contributions! Thank you.

Hey! exactly you are right but I want to suggest that if your slope your roof 10 degrees of angle according to the floor. I think to solve it if you want to know about more see this project Burj Jumeira Tower I think same architect design pattern of the roof with the slope.

Badge +8

Looking for the referenced workspaces. Where did they go?