Question

Problems with converting a fgdb polygon feature class to a KML

• 26 October 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hello everyone,

As said in the title, I'm having trouble converting an SDE Polygon feature class to a KML file in FME 2017. When I do the translation on FME, I can see the geometry and attribute in the inspector, but when I add the KML to Google earth, there is no geometry! I was also using a KML Property Setter and KML Styler, but that shouldn't have any effect. I've made sure to check the coordinate system, and I've re-run the workspace In many different variations, and even tried doing the conversion in Arc, but no results for getting the KML polygon. Please help!

One thing I've noticed is that the polygon KML is a very large file when compared to the other KML's generated in the workspace, both of which have many, many more features.

The data that is not 'working' is the writer ending in '_Area'

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @reidm35,

Please try enabling only the Area output, then using a Sampler on the Area output to limit it to a single feature. Run the workspace, then examine the KML file in text editor to check for the existence of a polygon geometry, and to examine the vertex values to ensure they make sense for your data.

Hopefully, this will give you a better idea of what is amiss in the KML output.

Badge

Hi @reidm35,

Please try enabling only the Area output, then using a Sampler on the Area output to limit it to a single feature. Run the workspace, then examine the KML file in text editor to check for the existence of a polygon geometry, and to examine the vertex values to ensure they make sense for your data.

Hopefully, this will give you a better idea of what is amiss in the KML output.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what you mean by 'enabling only the output area'.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what you mean by 'enabling only the output area'.

Hi @reidm35,

Sorry about that. You can right-click on the ..._Area output feature type, then choose 'Enable Only This Feature Type'. This will disable (but not delete) all the other features type, so they will produce no output.

Badge

Hi @reidm35,

Sorry about that. You can right-click on the ..._Area output feature type, then choose 'Enable Only This Feature Type'. This will disable (but not delete) all the other features type, so they will produce no output.

Yup. Got it. Now for the sampler what parameters do I need to edit?

Badge

Hi @reidm35,

Also, I don't have much experience with text editors, so I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Also, I don't have much experience with text editors, so I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

In the Sampler, set the sampling rate to 1 and sampling type to First N features. This will limit you output to a single area feature.

The KML file is basically XML, so you can look at it in any text editor, and see the data structure. If you are familiar with XML, you should be able interpret the data.

If not, you can post a copy here (or send it to ), and I can look at it for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Google Earth sometimes times has problems displaying large polygons with many vertices. Please try using a Generalizer transformer to simplify the polygons before writing to KML.