Question

3D Rotator usage clarification

• 29 January 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have an axis-aligned sphere and a plane that's rotated. Both have the same origin point. I want to rotate the sphere using the plane's RPY (in degree) attributes using the 3D Rotator, with Origin XYZ equaling the plane's XYZ, and the Direction XYZ = plane PRY. The rotation (for which I use the plane's R) works, but neither in the right direction or by the right amount. I tried switching the values around but so far I can't get it to work. Here's an illustration (current / goal):

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @clickingbuttons,

The simplest way to do this is to use 3 3D Rotators, one for each of the rotation values. The yaw rotation is around the Z axis, pitch around Y and roll around the X. The order of the rotations are important, and should match the order used to rotate the plane.

Badge

Hi @clickingbuttons,

The simplest way to do this is to use 3 3D Rotators, one for each of the rotation values. The yaw rotation is around the Z axis, pitch around Y and roll around the X. The order of the rotations are important, and should match the order used to rotate the plane.

You mean using the "Rotate Along" X/Y/Z? Since I don't know the plane's rotation order I just tried to bruteforce, but alas, they all end up at the bottom.