Question

FME - Polygon contained within two other polygons

• 28 January 2019
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone could help, i've run into a slight problem with overlapping polygons and I can't seem to find a solution with AreaonAreaOverlayer or SpatialRelator...

My problem is that I would like to find when a polygon (Yellow - C in the pictures below) overlaps 2 other polygons. This can be when the full extent of that polygon is completely within the other 2 (example on the left) or it is contained within the others and overlaps their individual boundaries (example on the right).

Hopefully that is understandable, sorry if i've missed out anything it's my first time posting a question on here!

Thanks in advance,

Jack

1 reply

Badge +10

If you build a list in the area on area overlayer, then explode the list and keep all those parts that overlap with C, you can then sum the areas and compare to the original area to check if the polygon is entirely covered by other polygons. I would probably use a spatialfilter/relator initially to pick out all the cases in your first picture before tackling the more complex cases .

You could also dissolve A&B polygons together before using a spatial relator. The best approach will depend on the complexity of your data and number of polygons.