Question

Fail to export watertight (solid) 3D models

• 17 December 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi!

I am trying to get watertight solids from city roof data for 3D-printing. It seems as if somehow many of the solids from the extruded roof polygons sticks together and greates a mess that no 3D-printing software can handle. I have tried countless ways to get around this but it never gets better than this simple workspace. Does anyone have a clue what might be causing this? - The initial polygons are defined as IFMEPolygon in the inspector, and the output is set to .obj - None of the initial polygons are vertical. - In the inspector from the extrusion all is well, the extrusions seems to be independent solids).- In the obj most of them somehow gets mixed together?I feel I must be missing something really simple.

/Robin

2 replies

Badge +7

Could it maybe have to do with the fact that OBJ does not support solids? I am pretty sure that it can't handle it at all, but FME definitely can't read or write it: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/obj/quick_facts_obj.htm#

Seems that everything is converted to surface geometries during the writing process.

Badge

Ah, thank you. I think you are absolutely right! I tried using a bunch of other formats and it seems like an export to 3DS with the "two sided meshes" option does the trick. Then I convert the 3DS file in Rhinoserous3D to STL which is one of the formats that the 3D-printer can use. Hopefully this will work now.